Whole-Wheat Pecan Muffins

"Scullery Maid" <scullerymaid@hotmail.com>
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 11:46:03 -0600
v101.n009.8
Here's my new favorite muffins.  Don't be turned off by the fact that
they're 100% whole-wheat.  They come out light, and the nuttiness of the
wheat adds to the pecan flavor.  I put my changes in ().

Whole-Wheat Pecan Muffins

1/4 cup (1/8 lb.) butter or margarine
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup milk
1/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt (I use buttermilk)
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla (1 tsp.)
2 cups whole-wheat flour (very fine grind)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup chopped pecans
(I added 1/2 tsp. salt)

1. In a large bowl with a mixer, beat butter and sugar until very well mixed
and no lumps remain. Add milk, yogurt, egg, and vanilla; beat just until
blended. Add flour, soda, and pecans; stir until mixture is
evenly moistened.

2. Spoon batter equally into 12 buttered or paper-lined muffin cups (2 1/2
to 2 3/4 in. wide).

3. Bake in a 425° regular or convection oven until muffins just begin to
pull from pan sides and spring back in the center when lightly pressed,
about 15 minutes.

4. Cool muffins in pan about 5 minutes, then invert onto a rack and turn
rounded side up. Serve hot, warm, or cool. If making up to 1 day ahead, wrap
cool muffins airtight and store at room temperature; freeze to store longer.
To reheat, seal in foil and bake in a 350° regular or convection oven about
10 minutes.

Makes: 12 muffins

Source: Sunset magazine

-Mary B.