Egg Wash

TheGuamTarheels@webtv.net (The Ol' Tarheel)
Sat, 3 Feb 2001 08:53:45 -0500 (EST)
v101.n008.10
Tom the Wisconsin Badger wrote:
"What is best method to apply egg wash, for example to put seeds on top
of rolls before backing? Many times I end up with punched down rolls
while trying to apply the egg wash!"
I don't mean to be a smart aleck, Tom, but I think the best way to apply
egg wash is VERY GENTLY.  Just run your brush over the tops of the
rolls.  Once you get the hang of it, your brush will contain just enough
of the wash so that it will sort of run down the sides of the rolls.
Just be gentle.  Sprinkle the seeds on the wet wash and, once again, be
VERY GENTLE in pressing the seeds into the dough.  I've found that
trying to keep seeds on the dough is often more trouble than it is
worth, so I've taken to mixing seeds into the dough as I knead it.  This
provides the taste of the seeds as well as a crunchy surprise.  I used
to be a Badger, by the way.    Bob the gentle Tarheel Baker