Sticky Buns

"Linda Garber" <linda@gov.ns.ca>
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 11:08:14 -0400
v101.n006.26
I combined three recipes to create these sticky buns which I made for our
office on the day of the Tall Ships Parade of Sail last summer in
Halifax.  The dough is from the Sally Lunn bread in Bread Machine Magic by
Rehberg and Conway, the Filling is from the Cinnabon Recipe and the Syrup
is from
The Bread Machine Cookbook by M. Lambert.  I didn't use the pecans.  I
think you could add raisins to the filling.  They are very good, according
to all who have tried them.

	TALL SHIPS 2000 STICKY BUNS

8" square or round pan

DOUGH
1/8 cup heavy cream
1/8 to 1/4 cup water
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter in pieces
3 tablespoons sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 to 2 tsp yeast

FILLING
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/3 cup very soft butter

SYRUP
3 tbsp butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp water
30 pecan halves (optional)

9" X 13" pan

DOUGH
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 to 3/8 cup water
3 eggs
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup butter cut
1/4 cup sugar
3 cups flour
1 1/2 - 2 tsp yeast

FILLING
1 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 c very soft butter

SYRUP
4 1/2 tbsp butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp water
44 pecan halves (optional)

METHOD
Dough:  Put dough ingredients in bread pan in order suggested by your bread
machine instructions. Set for white or sweet bread, dough stage. Press
Start.  Remove dough and punch down.

Filling:  Mix brown sugar, cinnamon & butter. Microwave for 6 to 10 seconds
to spread easier.

For the smaller recipe, roll dough into a rectangle 7 to 8 inches wide and
about 16 inches long. For the larger recipe, cut down in half and roll into
two rectangles, each 7 to 8 inches wide and 11 to 12 inches long. Spread
filling to edges and roll into long cylinder. Cut into 1 - 2 inch slices.

The rolls can be baked together in baking pans or separately in muffin
pans. The muffin-pan rolls are neater and crusty on the outside. If you
cook them in baking pans, they will be softer. An 8-inch square baking pan
is the perfect size for nine rolls, a 9 x 13 inch pan should hold 15 rolls.

Syrup:  Make the syrup by combining butter, brown sugar, and water in a
small pan. Heat until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Stir well,
then pour syrup into the bottoms of the baking pan or muffin-pan cups.
Place two pecan halves in the bottom of each muffin cup, or on the top of
each roll if you are using a baking pan. Place rolls in muffin cups, or
turn them upside down (so pecans are on the bottom) in a baking pan. Cover
rolls loosely, set them in a warm place, and let them rise until doubled,
45 minutes to 1 hour.

Bake rolls in a preheated 350 F oven until they are nicely browned, 17 to
22 minutes in a muffin pan, 20 to 25 minutes in a baking pan, The rolls
must be removed from the pan immediately, or the sugar syrup will harden.
Keeping in mind that excess sugar syrup will run off, invert the pan or
muffin pan over a large plate or baking sheet. Let them cool slightly, or
the hot sugar will burn your mouth.