Oatmeal Yeast Bread

Jack Elliott <edieell@worldnet.att.net>
Fri, 02 Feb 2001 19:44:46 -0500
v101.n006.23
Recently I saw a copy of a magazine "Country Extra" in which I found the
subject recipe.  I tried it and found it to be a very good bread.  It rises
well has a good crumb and, I think, an excellent flavor.  Some of you
readers may find it interesting.

I use a Kitchenaid beginning with the paddle and switching to the Pam
sprayed hook and knead for 15 minutes. Some where I have read that 1/3
teaspoon of yeast per cup of flour is sufficient thus, I do not use the
full amount in the recipe. I find I must add a bit more flour.  As a
result, I finish with just under 4 pounds of dough.  The dough ferments in
a bowl until doubled.  This I divide, shape and place in 4 X 8-inch loaf
pans, cover and set aside to proof.  Some days 1 1/2 to 2 hours are
required to rise about 1-inch above the sides of the pans.

The result is 3 baked loaves of just over 1 pound each.

OATMEAL YEAST BREAD

2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (110o to 115o)
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup honey
2 eggs
1 cup quick-cooking oats
1 tablespoon salt
6 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted

In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water; set aside.  In
another bowl, stir boiling water and shortening until shortening is
melted.  Add honey; cool to 110 - 115 F.

Add eggs, oats, salt and shortening mixture to yeast mixture.  Add 3 cups
flour; stir until smooth.  Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.

Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8
minutes.  Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.  Cover and
let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Punch dough down.  Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in
half.  Shape each portion into a loaf.  Place in two greased 9 X 5 X
3-inch  loaf pans.  Prick tops with a fork.  Brush with butter.  Cover and
let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.  Bake at 350 F for 30-35 minutes
or until golden brown.  Remove from pans to cool on wire racks.

YIELD: 2  loaves.