Sticky Buns

Jack Elliott <edieell@worldnet.att.net>
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 12:20:10 -0500
v101.n006.10
Re Eldon and Shanda Solomon request for a Sticky Buns recipe, here is a
recipe I have made several times.  My wife and friends rave about
them.  The recipe may be found in "Sister Schubert's Secret Bread
Recipes".  Hope it turns out to be what you are looking for.

          Good luck and happy baking...

Sister's Sticky Buns

1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 package active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (105 to 115 F)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, melted and divided
1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar, divided
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

Combine 1 cup water, 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup butter in a saucepan; heat
until the butter melts, stirring occasionally.  Cool to 105 to 115 F.

Combine yeast, warm water and 1 teaspoon sugar in a 1 cup liquid measuring
cup; let stand 5 minutes.  Combine butter mixture and the yeast
mixture.  Add egg; stir well.

Combine yeast mixture, 2 cups flour and salt in a large bowl.  Add
remaining 2 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring vigorously until
dough is no longer sticky and pulls away from sides of the bowl.  Brush or
lightly dub dough with some of the melted butter.  Cover loosely and let
rise in a warm (85 F) place, free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.

Combine 1/2 cup melted butter, 1 cup brown sugar, corn syrup and pecans;
sprinkle mixture evenly in the bottom of a well greased 13 X 9 X 2-inch
pan.  Set pan aside.  Combine remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar, remaining 1/4
cup sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl; set aside.

Punch dough down; turn out onto a well floured surface.  Roll dough into an
18 X 15-inch rectangle.  Brush dough generously with some of the remaining
melted butter; sprinkle evenly with the cinnamon mixture.  Roll up dough
jellyroll fashion, starting at the long side.  Cut roll into 12 slices, 1
1/2 inches thick.  Place slices, cut sides down, in the prepared
pan.  Brush slices with remaining melted butter.  Cover loosely and let
rise in a warm place, free from drafts, 1 hour or until tops of rolls rise
just above top of the pan.

Preheat the oven to 350 F and put the oven rack in the center of
oven.  Bake rolls, uncovered, for 18 to 22 minutes or until golden.  Cool
in pan on a wire rack 8 minutes.  Invert pan onto wax paper; let rolls
stand, covered with the pan for minute.  Remove pan, scraping any remaining
pecan mixture from the pan onto the rolls.  Serve warm, Yield: 1 dozen.

Note:

I do not do it this way!!  I prefer to put all but a little of the flour in
the mixer bowl and then add about 1/3 of the liquid at a time while mixing
with the dough hook at low speed until all liquid, and remaining flour if
necessary is added then increase speed to medium.  Continue until the dough
looks right!