bread and bakeries in NYC

"L. Hyson" <lhyson@mindspring.com>
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 23:56:20 -0500
v101.n005.16
For Alexandra who is visiting NYC in the spring - here is a list of bread
bakeries that I know first hand - too many delicious breads to give you a
favorite except that I love Jewish rye and Jewish corn breads, which is what
I grew up on.  I have learned to greatly (too much) country and artisan
breads of which there are loads - so here is the list -

Sullivan Street Bakery, 73 Sullivan St. (West Village)annex at 533 W. 47 Street
Zito & Son's Bakery, 259 Bleecker St. (also West Village)
Bouley, 120 Broadway (sort of Soho/West Village)
Ecce Panis, 5 locations throughout city - one of the best bread bakers
E.A.T., 1064 Madison Avenue - also called Eli's Bakery
Orwasher's Bakery, 308 E. 78 St. - in business for at least 3 generations -
they sell my favorite breads and since living in North Carolina these past 8
long years, I get my fix when I go up to visit.

If you like pies, Little Pie Company at 424 W. 43 St. is the place to go -
their sour cream apple pie with crumb topping is worth eating.

So there you are - if you try any of these, I'd love to know what you think
of them.  I'll take no offense if you don't like any or all of them.

Have a great time and when you hit the Big Apple, give them my regards.  It
will be sometime till I get there again.

            Louise Hyson