Pretzel Rolls; bread in tubes

Haacknjack@aol.com
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 07:36:17 EST
v101.n004.15
For Lorraine, from an old Bon Appetit -- it had a feature on rolls (7 or
eight recipies) and I think I've made them all!

Pretzel Rolls

2 3/4   cups bread flour
1   tablespoon active dry yeast
1   teaspoon salt
1   teaspoon sugar
1   teaspoon celery seed
18  tablespoons water, hot
2   tablespoons corn meal
8   cups water
1/4 cup baking soda
2   tablespoons sugar
1   egg white, beaten to blend
     coarse salt

Combine bread flour, yeast, salt, sugar and celery seed in food processor and
blend.  With  machine running, gradually pour hot water through feed tube
until smooth, elastic dough is formed.  Process 1 minute to knead.  Grease
medium bowl; add dough, turning to coat.  Cover bowl with plastic wrap, then
towel; let rise until doubled in volume, about 35 minutes.

Flour baking sheet.  Punch dough down and knead on lightly floured surface
until smooth.  Divide into 8 pieces.  Form each dough piece into ball.  Place
dough balls on prepared sheet, flattening each slightly.  Using serrated
knife, cut X in top center of each dough ball.  Cover with towel and let rise
until almost doubled in volume, about 20 minutes.

Preheat oven to 375 F.  Grease another baking sheet and sprinkle with
cornmeal.  Bring 8 cups water to boil in large saucepan.  Add baking soda and
sugar (water will foam up).  Add 4 rolls and cook 30 seconds per side.  Using
slotted spoon, transfer rolls to prepared sheet, arranging X side up.  Repeat
with remaining rolls.

Brush rolls with egg white glaze.  Sprinkle rolls generously with coarse
salt.  bake rolls until brown, about 25 minutes.  transfer to racks and cool
10 minutes.  Serve warm or at room temperature.

Amount Per Serving
Calories  363        Calories from Fat  15
Percent Total Calories From:
Fat   4%        Protein   14%        Carb.  82%

Re: shaped tubes for bread ... I have an assortment of them (and as another
reader responded, they are FABULOUS for kids' birthday parties or any time
you really want to have a theme sparkle).  I spray 'em heavily with cooking
spray (it can be hard to get the corners and crannies lubricated) and then
put a firm yeast dough (white, whole wheat, whatever) that I've just formed
into a rolling-pin shape right into them.  Don't fill it up more than
half-way, the ends will pop off from the pressure of the dough.  Let the
dough rise and then put the tubes in a well-preheated oven.  The additional
oven-spring gets compressed by the tube, resulting in a closer-grained,
firmer bread than those we make in open-topped pans.  This is A Good Thing,
however, 'cuz you're going to slice these weird shapes and the denser product
holds together nicely.  If the loaf doesn't slide out nicely right away, let
it rest in the tube undisturbed for 5-10 minutes (this is called "sweating"
and the bread really does that:  the moisture from inside the loaf is
migrating to the crust, and eventually will break whatever bond there is
between crust and tube).  (Sweating is also a good way to get stuck loaves
out of open-topped pans, you don't scratch the pan or peel the crust right
off --- EWWW!).  Enjoy your tubes, they are an easy way to add a smile to
life!