vinyl bowl covers and NYC bakery suggestions

alexandra mahoney <alexmotown@prodigy.net>
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 21:53:52 -0500 (EST)
v101.n004.13
Hello BBD folk:

Two things.  First is an observation I've made in my kitchen about the
material I use to cover a rising dough in a bowl.  I hate saran wrap in
general and also dislike how much it gets wasted in the various stages of
baking.  Like others, I use plastic bags for refrigerator rises, but I have
found that vinyl bowl covers -- the ones that look like little shower caps
-- work beautifully in covering bowls tightly during a rise.  I don't even
grease them and haven't had a dough stick to them yet.  I get them at the
Vermont Country Store (they are heavier than the ones put out by the saran
wrap companies now available in stores).

Second is that I am planning a bakery hop in NYC this spring.  I want to
visit a few great bakeries (for bread primarily), particularly ones of any
culinary historical value.  So far I have Amy's Breads on my list, but
that's it.  If anyone could suggest a favorite or famous bakery and a
recommended item to sample, I'd be very appreciative.  Thanks!   Alexandra
M.