A variation on Brother Juniper's Country Buttermilk Whole Wheat

TheGuamTarheels@webtv.net (The Ol' Tarheel)
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 12:13:44 -0500 (EST)
v100.n078.17
Some years ago, I purchased Lee Bailey's California Wine Country Cooking
cookbook.  In it, I found a recipe from Brother Juniper's Bakery in
Forestville, California.  It is called Country Buttermilk Whole Wheat Bread
and I have been making it "forever."  Recently, I decided to add some
ingredients to it and this is what I came up with.  It makes wonderful toast.
***

A Tarheel Baker's Variation on Brother Juniper's Country Buttermilk Whole
Wheat Bread

2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (preferably King Arthur)
2 cups bread flour (preferably KA)
2 cups whole wheat flour (preferably KA)
1 tablespoon sea salt
1/4 cup wheat bran
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
3 tablespoons Lora Brody's dough enhancer
1/4 cup coarse ground corn meal
1 tablespoon instant yeast (I use Fermipan)
2 cups lukewarm water (with 3 tablespoons honey dissolved in it)
1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
Topping:
1 egg
1 cup water
Poppy or sesame seeds (optional)

Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.  Mix honey water and
buttermilk.  Add to the dry ingredients, mixing well with a wooden
spoon.  Turn out on a floured surface and knead for 8 to 10 minutes until
it feels right.  Form the dough into a ball, place it in a lightly oiled (I
use canola) bowl, covered loosely with plastic wrap, and allow to rise at
room temperature for about l-1/2 hours or until doubled.  Punch it down and
allow it to rise for another hour.  Preheat your oven to 350F.  Form the
dough into two balls and then into loaves.  Place the loaves in lightly
oiled loaf pans and allow to rise, lightly covered with plastic wrap, until
the dough crests above the pans, about 30 minutes.  Whisk the egg with the
water, then brush the tops of the loaves.  Sprinkle on poppy or sesame
seeds, if desired, and gently push them into the dough.

Bake for about 45 minutes until golden and the internal temperaturer (taken
with an instant thermometer) has reached 185 to 190F.  Allow to cool at
least 45 minutes before slicing.

Makes two loaves.

Note:  With all the "good stuff" in this bread, it is imperative that you
use Lora's Dough Enhancer (or a similar product - if you can find one).

Merry Christmas from
Bob the Tarheel Baker