No Need To Knead

rhea <rheamav@concentric.net>
Wed, 04 Oct 2000 13:40:01 -0400
v100.n066.8
Has anyone tried any of the recipes or techniques from the book, "No Need
to Knead?"

I tried the recipe for casarecchio (sp.?) last week. The resulting bread
was wonderfully moist and chewy (results desired and predicted by the
author), and we nearly devoured an entire loaf at one sitting. But the
taste and texture of the bread the following day were very disappointing.
The texture seemed to have changed, and it really didn't taste all that
great. I have read about breads that only taste good on the day they are
baked, and I admit I don't understand this phenomenon (If bread tastes
great one day, it should still taste good the next, right?).

NO!
what i remember from reading this book is that the author emphasizes a high
ratio of crust to crumb.  with breads like that they tend to dry out
quicker than those with a higher crumb to crust ratio. take, for instance,
a baguette, lots of crust, little crumb, and does not keep till the next
day, compared to a round loaf with lots of crumb, that still tastes good
the next day.

rhea