Pizza dough with corn.

"Ken & Mary Ann Vaughan" <kvaughan@ptialaska.net>
Sun, 24 Sep 2000 07:16:35 -0800
v100.n065.2
Here is a polenta pizza dough that works well --

I grind my own cornmeal and sieve out the fine parts to get the larger
polenta pieces with corn bran.  Bobs Red Mill provides a good polenta corn
on the west coast.  I have used grits also.

Maximum corn pizza is to make polenta and spread it on a oiled pizza pan.
Allow to cool and set up.  Bake the polenta in a 400 degree oven for 15
minutes and add toppings.  Continue to bake for an additional 15 minutes to
melt cheese and heat toppings.

* Exported from MasterCook *

                            Polenta Pizza Dough

Recipe By     :
Serving Size  : 6     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    :

      3/4           cup  warm water
      1/2      teaspoon  sugar
   1           teaspoon  yeast -- active dry or instant
   2               cups  flour -- all purpose
      1/2           cup  polenta or coarse ground cornmmeal
      1/4           cup  whole wheat flour
   1         tablespoon  fresh herbs such as rosemary -- *see Note
   2        tablespoons  olive oil -- extra virgin preferred
   1           teaspoon  salt -- kosher preferred

In a food processors or bread machine on dough cycle, measure liquids and
herbs into the bowl.  add the dry incgedients and knead to provide a smooth
ball with bits of corn meal on the surface.  I find that the dough needs to
be on the soft side as the corn meal adsorbs water as the dough rises.

Food processor-- after kneading to form a ball, allow the dough to rise for
1 1/2 hours to double in size.

This dough will improve in flavor if stored under refrigeration for a day or
two.

   "Pizza dough using coarse ground cornmeal or polenta"

Per serving: 212 Calories (kcal); 5g Total Fat; (21% calories from fat); 5g
Protein; 36g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 358mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1
Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Ken -- who chases old tools, makes shaker boxes and whittles