Semolina Bread

"Joni Repasch" <jrepasch@infi.net>
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 16:30:45 -0700
v100.n062.16
What a delight to prepare this light somewhat yellow loaf. Just the right
size for sandwiches if placed in a 5-inch X 9-inch or 10-inch pan. I did
have one problem with this bread. I think there may have been a misprint in
the amount of water or flour. I followed directions as written and after
adding the required 3 cups of semolina flour I had a batter, not a
kneadable dough. I had to keep adding a little more flour until I was able
to get the consistency I wanted, and even then dough was extremely slack.
You might try this recipe using only 1 cup of water and 3 cups of flour and
see what you get. That is what I will do next time. I used my KitchenAid
Mixer for all of the mixing and most of the kneading.

Enjoy folks,

joni repasch

"When people think of semolina flour, they usually think of pasta. But
semolina, a high-gluten flour made from the hard, coarse endosperm of durum
wheat, also makes a lovely loaf of bread. Light golden in color, moist, and
of a fine, delicate texture ideal for slicing, this bread recipe is based
on one found in Judith and Evan Jones' "The Book of Bread," available in
our Baker's Catalogue (as is the semolina flour.)" KAF

Semolina Bread

1 Tbsp active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups lukewarm (110F) water
2 Tbsp soft butter
2 Tbsp nonfat dry milk
1 tsp salt
3 cups semolina flour (4-5 cups)

Dissolve the yeast in 1/2 cup of the warm water in a large bowl. Mix the
butter and the dry milk into the remaining cup of water, and add to the
yeast along with the salt. Stir in the semolina.

Turn the dough out onto a work surface floured with a little more semolina
and knead it for 8 to 10 minutes, until smooth. Grease a bowl, set the
dough in the bowl, turning to coat all sides, cover with plastic wrap, and
let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours or more.

Punch the dough down, turn it out of the bowl, and shape it into a loaf.
Place it into a greased 5-inch x 10-inch bread pan. Cover with a towel and
let rise until doubled in bulk, about 50 minutes.

Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 40 minutes, or until bread is a light
golden brown and tests done. Turn the loaf out and let it cool on a rack.
Let cool thoroughly before slicing.

YIELD: Makes 1 large loaf

SOURCE: Merlin's Recipe Box, King Arthur's Bread Web Site

Note: "This is a nice, moist sandwich bread. I even made it in our office
bread machine* with a fair amount of success: the top crust sank a bit, but
the texture, taste and moistness were excellent." King Arthur Flours