Need plastic lids

Jjnjjacobs@aol.com
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 09:09:11 EDT
v100.n062.11
Hoping to pool your ideas on this one:  I've been collecting old coffee
jars, the large-mouth kind, for several years now.  They look great on my
country-kitchen counters, and do a good job holding cookies, flours,
crackers, and the like.  However, the jar I use to hold the bagels and
English muffins has rusted inside the top, and the moisture from these
items is causing the rust to worsen!  I've tried using some sandpaper to
rub the rust off, have even oiled it down some, but like I mentioned, it
keeps coming back (even though I don't screw the lid on very tightly to
allow for some of the moisture to escape).

Any ideas?  What would happen if I cleaned it well, then used spray paint
to paint it?   Will the spray paint fumes taint my ingredients?  What would
lining the lid with a circle / sheet of cork do?  Or..........has anyone
ever come across a website / source for large, replacement plastic lids for
jars (or even old salt shakers)?

And Reggie.......in case we don't thank you often enough.......THANK YOU
THANK YOU THANK YOU for all your efforts on this List!!  We all realize and
surely appreciate the time you spend for us, and we love it!  It's one of
the BEST things I do for myself, trying to keep up with my fellow Baking
Buddies!

[Editor AKA Reggie Note: Gee, thanks Jeanette!!  It is a pleasure to run
this list.]

Jeanette
from Hotter-than-Hell South Texas, USA