Baking Stones

"Dick Smith" <rssmith@ispchannel.com>
Mon, 04 Sep 2000 08:05:46 -0400
v100.n060.20
Reading the comments about baking stones in this week's digest and
remembering something someone wrote recently about using flower pot
saucers, I wanted to tell folks my solution to a baking stone.

After reading the book "Bread Alone" by Daniel Leader in which he goes on
at length about baking in brick ovens or on a stone I went looking for a
local source.  Leader suggested using terra cotta tiles.  I found some
Mexican Saltillo tiles at a local Home Depot.  I had the measurements of my
baking racks and with a salesperson who was intriqued about what I wanted
to do, he cut them at no charge.  So now I put the tiles on the rack in the
oven pre-heat to the proper temp for 45 minutes to an hour before sliding
the loaves into the oven.

It works like a charm and the best part was it cost me about $4.50!

Cheers.....

Dick Smith