Oreganato Bread...

TheGuamTarheels@webtv.net (Bob)
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 06:27:11 -0400 (EDT)
v100.n060.1
8 cups unbleached all-purpose flour or high-gluten bread flour (I use
half and half)
3/4 cup polenta or coarse cornmeal
3 tablespoons dried oregano
1-1/2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
2 tablespoons granulated garlic
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons instant yeast
2 tablespoons sea salt
Approximately 3-1/2 cups water

Mix all the dry ingredients, then add the water water.  Mix well.  Knead
for about 8 minutes, or until a soft tacky dough is formed.  The dough
should be tacky, but not sticky.

Place dough in an oiled bowl, cover, and allow to rise approximately 1-1/2
hours.  Punch down and allow to rise again for another hour. Divide the
dough in two, knead briefly, and form into tight balls. Sprinkle a little
cornmeal or polenta on a large oiled baking sheet and place the balls on
the   sheet at least two inches apart.  Cover and allow to rise for one
hour.  Preheat the oven to 425 degrees with a baking stone inside.  Slash
the loaf tops with a lame, razor blade, or serrated knife.  Spray the
loaves with a mister.  Place the baking sheet directly on the baking stone,
spray the oven with the mister, and quickly close the door.  Spray 3 more
times every 2 minutes.  Bake for 30 minutes and then check the temperature
of the loaves with an instant thermometer.

You are looking for a deep golden color and an internal temperature of l90
degrees.  Cool on racks at least 30 minutes before slicing.  This bread
freezes very well.

This recipe was adapted from a recipe of the Brother Juniper Bakery in
Forestville, California, and appears in Lee Bailey's California Wine
Country Cooking.  I am submitting it as a result of foolishly shooting off
my mouth about it in a reply to Susie in Atlanta about an alternative to
high-priced bread-rising baskets.  As a result, I received 642 bazillion
requests for the recipe.  In the next few days, I will post the recipes for
a rustic country bread, a damned good sourdough bread, and a
knock-your-knickers-off Jewish rye bread. Please don't get the impression
that I am complaining about being asked for these recipes.  I love it
because, in addition to being a good baker, I am also a show-off baker.

Bob the Tarheel Baker