baking on a comal

Andie Paysinger <asenji@earthlink.net>
Sat, 19 Aug 2000 15:12:35 -0700
v100.n058.10
One of my neighbors just came back from a 2 month trip through Mexico
(visiting family) and brought me 2 items I have wanted for a long time. One
is a stone corn grinder (big rectangular  thing with a bar to grind the
corn)  I am not going to use this, it is for my collection. However, they
also brought me a granite comal which is used for baking tortillas on top
of a stove but it can also be put in an oven for baking the Mexican sweet
breads or other breads.

It retains heat longer than the "stone" I have been using in my oven. It
certainly makes a great crust on sourdough.  Tomorrow I am going to try one
of the "slack" breads, made with a wetter dough (as in Suzanne
Dunaway's  No Need To Knead) I will let you know the results of my experiment.

--
Andie Paysinger & the PENDRAGON Basenjis,Teafer,Cheesy,Singer & Player
asenji@earthlink.net    So. Calif. USA   "In the face of adversity, be