King Arthur

Lynn Cragholm <celeste@alaska.net>
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 17:42:09 -0800
v100.n057.6
I recently began using King Arthur flours and I do like them, primarily
because they are not bromated or bleached.  My breads never have been
better!   I very much like the 100% white whole wheat and, as someone else
said, the First Clear Flour is great in rye breads.  Alas, after what I
have on hand is gone, which fast is dwindling, I no longer will be able to
afford the pleasure of using KA flours when I bake.  We live on a
retirement income and I cannot continue to pay the expensive shipping to
get the flour to Anchorage, Alaska.

For some strange reason some companies, when figuring the shipping cost,
view Alaska as a foreign country.  Yet others do not.  King Arthur
apparently does because, for example,  when I recently placed a large order
to restock various flours and, at the same time, receive the free
subscription to the baking newsletter for a year.  The merchandise totaled
$105, the weight was 118 pounds, and the charge to ship me the flour would
have been $108.  This was the slow-mail shipping charge, which meant I'd
wait for up to a month for my order to arrive. I know, because I've waited
that long before when I had flours shipped the slow way.  Although I have
paid the outrageous shipping charges in the past, I finally came to my
senses and cancelled the order because, I told the lady on the other end of
the phone line, I'm not buying gold, I merely wish to purchase some flour.

There is one store in Anchorage (New Sagaya) where KA flours may be
purchased, at GREATLY increased prices over those in the catalog--because
of the shipping that the store has to pay, I suppose. Another problem is
that the supply at the store is sparse and what I go for usually is not
available.  I always am told that an order is expected any day, and that I
should come back.  Once I made three trips and finally gave up and ordered
my need from KA.   I called New Sagaya on the phone before going each time,
to inquire if the flour I wanted had been received, and was told yes.  When
I got there, I discovered that the person I talked to had not actually
checked on the shelf but merely had said yes to my question because KA
flour is carried at the store from time to time.

There truly is a limit to the number of times I can run back and forth to
the store for a sack of  flour, especially when considering gasoline prices
these days!  And there truly is a limit to how much I should be expected to
pay for shipping! As for the baking newsletter, I guess I'll live without
that, too.

Lynn Cragholm