Spelt recipes

ssmaust@juno.com
Sat, 8 Jul 2000 22:55:34 -0400
v100.n051.12
Patricia,
I have used spelt for several years.  I have found that Vita-spelt flour
has better results in bread than some other brands but I have not
done  extensive research on all brands.  They (Purity Foods) check each
load of spelt grain that comes in to make sure it is bread quality.  You
can go to their website and find lots of recipes for all kinds of
foods.  They also have pastas and "white" spelt flour.  By using a search
engine you can find some other recipes also.  One thing I quickly learned
is that you need about 1/4 cup less liquid with spelt than with wheat
flour.  If you would like some other recipes I have adapted contact me by
email.

This is the recipe I always use for pancakes.  I adapted a whole wheat
recipe from More with Less Cookbook.  Now my kids complain if I do it
differently.

1 cup milk (may use soy or other milk)
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
Mix together and set aside for 5 minutes to sour.

Stir together:
3/4 c. whole spelt flour
1/2 c. unbleached wheat flour
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
Dash (1-2) cinnamon

Mix dry ingredients with wet ingredients until moist.  Allow to set for
several minutes while griddle heats then make pancakes and enjoy.

Sharon
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.