Re: Digest bread-bakers.v100.n045

Carol Pettit <cpettit@ix.netcom.com>
Sat, 03 Jun 2000 15:00:00 -0400
v100.n046.10
 > --------------- MESSAGE bread-bakers.v100.n045.8 ---------------
 >
 > From: FRANWAG@aol.com
 > Subject: Using Trash Bags when rising Dough
 > Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 10:16:41 EDT
 >
 > Hi everyone,
 >
 > Peter Reinhart gave a wonderful description of how to retard pizza dough
 > overnight in the refrigerator....  in a plastic trash bag.
 >
 > Please be aware that a good many of these bags are meant for garbage/refuse
 > and are not food safe - in fact they may contain insecticide - or other
 > non-desired chemicals and alas, there is no warning on the bag.  I am not
 > sure I want to rise my dough in one of those bags.
 >
 > There are food-safe plastic bags used by supermarkets - however, I am not
 > sure which member of the supermarket staff would be able to advise you if
 > their stock fits the -safe- category.  My guess is that the bags used for
 > holding produce should be okay- but again I am not positive.
 >
 > For the time being I am using a Freezer Bag made by ZipLoc -
 >
 > Do any of you know of other bags that are okay for food usage?
 >
 > Fran in NYC

Fran (and everyone else who voiced concerns about plastic trash bags) --
Glad makes a "small garbage bag" that specifically states that it is
approved for food storage.  It's 9" X 8" X 18" so it's not HUGE, but
it's big enough to hold a 12 pound turkey (my usual use for them) and
should handle a reasonable amount of dough.

Carol P.