Pizza recipe

Robin91783@aol.com
Sun, 14 May 2000 23:02:29 EDT
v100.n042.10
 >I am looking for some good pizza crust recipes for either the bread
 >machine or by hand.  Thanks :)
 >Carolyn

I like this recipe from the "Mr Food Pizza 1-2-3", by Art Ginsburg, copyright
1996...If you get a chance, buy this book (nope, I don't get a kickback) but
it's got a lot of good pizza dough recipes...

Deep Dish Pizza

3 cups all purpose flour, plus more if needed
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar
1 package (2 1/4 teaspoon) active dry yeast
1 cup very warm water (about 120F)
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided

1) in a large bowl, combine the flour and salt; set aside. In a small bowl,
dissolve the sugar & yeast in the water. Add 1 tablespoon of the oil to the
water mixture, then add to the flour. Mix with your hands until a soft ball
forms.

2) knead on a lightly floured surface for 5 to 7 minutes, until the dough
is smooth and elastic. If the dough is too sticky, add more flour 1
tablespoon at a time.

3) place the dough in a bowl that has been coated with nonstick vegetable
spray; turn the dough. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise at room
temperature for 45 to 50 minutes, until doubled in size.

4) Punch the dough down.

5) coat a 12 inch deep dish pizza pan or a 12 inch round cake pan with
nonstick vegetable spray. Using your fingertips or the heel of your hand,
spread the dough so that it covers the bottom of the pan and dough comes
three quarters of the way up the sides.

6) cover with plastic wrap & let sit for 10 minutes.

7) uncover & brush with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil.

makes one pound of dough

at this point I bake it about 10 minutes at about 350F, but I would imagine
you could just top your pizza & bake it. I usually wind up making 2 thinner
crust pizzas with this dough. I have tried a few recipes for dough but my
family likes this one the best. I have made it in the bread machine, but
using the standard (for my machine) protocol - liquids, than flour, etc - I
keep my eye on it to see if it needs a little extra flour but generally
it's fine - I take it out to rise...
Robin