pizza crusts & toppings

Haacknjack@aol.com
Sat, 13 May 2000 21:00:16 EDT
v100.n042.7
Reply for:  I am looking for some good pizza crust recipes for either the
bread machine or by hand.  Thanks :)
Carolyn
(Montello1@juno.com)

Here is a moderately silly approach to appetizer pizzas, I confess I did not
retain the alternative that called for baked eggplant rounds which were
supposed to resemble pepperoni slices ... but the crust is good!

Designer Pizzas

  8  Servings

1   cup water, warm
3/4 ounce active dry yeast
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
4 1/4   cups flour, divided; plus more if needed for kneading
1   tablespoon salt
1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
2   tablespoons corn meal
1   tablespoon olive oil
2   pounds onions, yellow; peeled, halved, cut crosswise into thin slices
1/2 teaspoon salt
1   teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
1/2 cup dry red wine
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 1/8   cups chicken broth
1   tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted & halved
6   artichokes, hearts, cooked & coarsely chopped
2 1/2   tablespoons lemon juice
1   tablespoon olive oil
4   artichokes, hearts, fresh, rubbed with lemon halves
2   tablespoons fresh mint sprigs, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
2   tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese

for dough:  pour warm water into large mixing bowl; add yeast and stir until
combined.  Combine whole wheat flour with 2 1/4 cups white flour and salt,
stir into yeast mixture 1 cup at a time.  Add yogurt and mix until soft and
sticky (about 2 minutes).

Sprinkle flour onto kneading surface.  Knead dough until smooth; about 5
minutes, adding flour as needed to prevent sticking.  Place in large oiled
bowl, turn; let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.  Punch down, let
rise again.

Meanwhile, make toppings:
for onion marmalade topping, preheat oven to 425F.  Warm olive oil in a large
cast-iron skillet over medium heat.  Add onions, salt & pepper and cook,
stirring constantly, until the onions begin to wilt, about 5-10 minutes.
Meanwhile, mix wine, vinegar, and broth in non-aluminum bowl.  Pour liquid
over onions.  Sprinkle with sugar and bake until golden brown, about 1 hour.
Stir every 5 minutes after 45 minutes have elapsed.  Set aside to cool.
Divide equally over 4 pizzas.

For artichoke topping, put cooked hearts into food processor.  Add 1 T. lemon
juice, 1.5 t. olive oil and puree until smooth.  Reserve.  Cut raw hearts
into very thin match sticks and put in a glass/ceramic bowl.  Add remaining
lemon juice and olive oil, mint, salt and pepper and toss to combine.  Divide
puree equally over 4 pizzas; divide salad equally and top the 4 pizzas with
salad.
Divide dough into 8 equal balls.  Cover (refrigerate or freeze if not using
within 2 hours).

Preheat oven to 425F.  Roll out balls into individual pizzas; place on
cornmeal-dusted baking sheets.  Top with onion or artichoke topping; bake
until dough is golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.

Here's another crust involving yogurt, which I have made for years and years.
  I guess the yogurt must be more important than I had realized!

YOGURT PIZZA DOUGH

1 cup warm water
1 Tbsp. active dry yeast (1 pkg)
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups white flour (plus more for kneading)
1 Tbsp. salt
1/2 cup plain yogurt (nonfat is fine)
2 Tbsp cornmeal

Dissolve yeast in warm water until foamy.  Mix whole wheat & 2 c. all-purpose
flour, and salt.  Add dry mixture to yeast in three additions.  Add yogurt &
mix until soft & sticky, about 2 minutes.

Knead on well-floured surface until smooth (this dough may take over a cup of
additional flour while kneading).  Knead 5-7 minutes.  Put into large greased
bowl, turn to coat entire dough ball, cover and let rise 1 hour.

Punch down, let rise again (1 hour).

Shape into pizza rounds; place on cornmeal-dusted pans.  Top as desired.

Bake at 425F ... 15-20 minutes if mini (personal) sized; 20-30 minutes for
12" pizza.j

Yields 6-8 mini pizzas or 2 12" pizzas.  (dough can be frozen (well
protected) in pizza pan and topped just before baking ... thaw in
refrigerator overnight before topping.  I have even frozen it all topped and
baked it longer right from the freezer.)