Re: Easter bread w/ painted eggs

Nuthatch@aol.com
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 11:01:56 EDT
v100.n038.17
I know this is too late for this year's holiday, but I thought I would post
it anyway. This recipe comes from a book called "Homemade Bread" written by
the Food Editors of the Farm Journal. Published in 1969, it was giving to me
by my sister when I first expressed an interest in baking bread when I was 14
years old. I have not made this recipe for many years, but I do remember it
was a hit, especially for the youngsters.

Easter Egg Bread

12 eggs in shell uncooked
Easter egg coloring
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup shortening
Grated peel of 2 lemons
2 pks. active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (110 to 115 degrees F)
2 eggs at room temp
4 1/2 cup sifted all-purpose flour (about)
1 egg, beaten
Tiny colored candies (colored sprinkles)

Wash 12 uncooked eggs. Tint shells with egg coloring; set aside

Scald milk; add sugar, salt, shortening, and lemon peel. Cool to luke warm.

Sprinkle yeast on warm water; stir to dissolve. Add to milk mixture with 2
eggs, slightly beaten, and 2 1/2 cups flour. Beat until smooth.

Stir in enough remaining flour, a little at a time, to form a dough that is
easy to handle. Turn onto lightly floured board and knead until smooth &
elastic, 5 - 8 minutes. Place in lightly greased bowl; turn dough over to
grease top. Cover and let rise in warm place free from drafts until doubles,
about 1 hour.

Punch down; cover and let rise again until almost doubled, about 30 minutes.

Make 2 large braided rings or 12 individual rings as follows:
Large Rings: Divide dough into 4 parts. Form each part into a 36 inch rope.
On a greased baking sheet, shape 2 ropes into a very loosely braided ring,
leaving space for 6 eggs. Repeat with other 2 ropes of dough for a second
ring. Insert 6 tinted eggs in spaces in each ring.
Individual Rings: Divide dough into 12 parts. Form each part into a ring
around a tinted egg.

Cover and let rise until doubled.

Brush evenly with beaten egg. Sprinkle with tiny decorating candies.

Bake in a moderate oven (375 degrees F) 15 minutes for individual rings, 20
minutes for large rings, or until lightly browned. Serve warm. Makes 2 large
or 12 individual rings.

Note: Easter Egg Bread can be baked the day before. Refrigerate. At serving
time, reheat in moderate oven (350 degrees F) 8 minutes.

Enjoy! Liz (Georgia, VT)