Re: Need Advice on Mixers

Joni Repasch <jrepasch@wt.infi.net>
Sun, 16 Apr 2000 15:33:05 -0400
v100.n036.8
Hi Jenny,

I'm sending this to you and the digest re you question on Kitchen Aid
Mixers.

Jenny Hensley hensley@columbus.rr.com asked some questions about KA
Mixers. In the past few months there has been numerous discussions about
the KA mixer and how well it handles bread doughs. Most found,
regardless of  the size or wattage, that it wasn't the best appliance
for mixing and kneading doughs.  Jenny might want to check the archives
for some of these discussions. Mary Ruppel posted a very favorable
report some time back and I follow her instructions to the T. I've
attached her letter  (see end of my post).

I, myself have a KSM90, 300 watt machine, purchased from a military
exchange in the DC area for a very reasonable price $190.00, circa 1994
or 1995. From 1996 - through September 1999, I mainly used it for mixing
cookie dough (3,000 cookies in 1998 for Christmas gifts to friends,
family and neighbors.  I could not have done without this machine for
that purpose.  In September, 1999 I started baking bread and for the
most part find the KSM90 very adequate for mixing and kneading. I only
make one or two loaves at a time, and if using other than white flour,
am careful not to over-use the machine for any length of time.  I will
knead for a few minutes,  stop the machine for 2 minutes between
kneadings.  Despite what a recipe may require I never knead any higher
than the #2 setting.  Taking the advice of one summiteer to this digest,
I often spray the dough hook with vegetable oil. This helps prevent the
dough from rising over the shaft of the dough hook.

However, if cost is not a big factor in your decision making I'd go for
one of the larger models, at least 350 watts.  I believe the work bowls
are larger 5 quart as opposed to 4½ quart in the 300 watt machines and
with more power you're likely not to burn out the motor.

One can also invest in some nice attachments to these machines
regardless of wattage. About a year ago we purchased a meat grinder
attachment.  We now can buy our meats in bulk, remove all the fat, then
grind the meat for whatever we want, hamburgers, meatloaves, meatballs,
etc.  I also make pimento cheese with this attachment. Does a great job
in grinding the cheddar along with the pimento or roasted red peppers.

You should know that I have the machine manufactured by Whirlpool.  I
sure wish it were a Hobart because those were excellent machines and
lasted forever.  My grandmother had one in her kitchen, an early 1940's
model. It was still in use when she sold her home in 1957.

Hope this helps a little in making your decision.

 >From: "Mary Ruppel" <Mary_Ruppel@prodigy.net>
 >Subject: KitchenAid Mixers
 >Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 20:54:04 -0500 .v099.n059 ----------

I own two Hobart KitchenAid mixers, a K45 (4-1/2 quarts, 250 watts),
purchased in 1975, and a K5SS (5 quarts, 300 watts), purchased in 1983.
Both mixers have been subject to heavy use and both are used extensively
for kneading yeast breads.   I prefer the smaller K45 mixer for recipes
which use 4-1/2 cups of flour or less.  In fact, the larger K5SS mixer
does not perform to my satisfaction on very small batches (3 cups of
flour or less).

These mixers are the only  "bread machines" I have ever wanted and
neither has ever overheated.  I do observe the rules in the instruction
booklet:

1) Never use for recipes with more than 8 cups of flour;
2) Don't prepare more than two bread recipes consecutively;
3) Allow mixer to rest 45 minutes after heavy use.

My procedure for handling very heavy dough is that once the dough has
been thoroughly mixed and clears the bowl, I cover it with plastic wrap
and let the dough relax for 15 minutes before attempting to knead it.
If the dough is particularly stiff, I knead one-half at a time.

Whirlpool now owns the KitchenAid brand, and while I cannot vouch for
the quality of their current mixers, I have noticed they are used on the
sets of cooking shows on PBS and the Food Network.  Also, George
Greenstein, author of "Secrets of a Jewish Baker", uses and recommends
the KitchenAid, model K5SS.  Each yeast bread recipe in the book
includes directions (with a 50% increase in quantity of ingredients)
specifically for use with the mixer. If you have a small family or
limited freezer space, the standard volume recipes work just fine with
the mixer.