Ginger-date Pumpkin Loaves

"Jazzbel" <jazzbel@grouper.batelnet.bs>
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 18:53:06 -0400
v100.n036.1
@@@@@
GINGER-DATE PUMPKIN LOAVES

  Dates dress up the flavors you love in pumpkin pie.

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. finely chopped crystallized ginger
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
1/3 cup shortening
1 cup chopped pitted dates
1 recipe Spiced Glaze
In a medium mixing bowl stir together 1 cup of the flour, sugar, ginger,
baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt. Add pumpkin, milk, eggs, and
shortening. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed about 30
seconds or till combined. Then beat on high speed for 2 minutes, scraping
sides of bowl occasionally. Add the remaining flour; beat till well mixed.
Stir in dates.
Pour batter into five 4 1/2x2 1/2x1 1/2 inch individual loaf pans or two
8x4x2-inch loaf pans, filling about 2/3 full. Bake in a 350F oven for 35 to
45 minutes for smaller loaves or about 45 minutes for larger loaves or till
toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire
racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely. Wrap and store
overnight at room temperature. Before serving, drizzle with Spiced Glaze.
Makes 5 smaller loaves or 2 larger loaves (about 25 slices).
Spiced Glaze: In a small mixing bowl stir together 1/2 cup sifted powdered
sugar and 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger. Stir in enough water (2 to 3
teaspoons) to produce an icing of  drizzling consistency.
_____

Later, Jazzbel

  Some friend have a habit of wearing these big time shirt.
The other night a fella come and tell me "I wearing a $25 custom-made
shirt".
I look at him and laugh 'cause I remember when all of we used
to "Thank God for Robin Hood Flour".  That's right, Flour Bag...
--Ronnie butler "Goin' down Burma Road".