RE: Stainless Steel

Ed Okie <okie@digital.net>
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 09:29:37 -0400
v100.n035.27
original message...
 >From: CLRob99@aol.com
 >Subject: Re: Stainless steel
 >Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2000 10:47:58 EDT

"Regarding stainless steel, several wrote that it's nonreactive, but that's
a misconception. It's called "stainless" not because it doesn't react with
anything but because the reaction doesn't stain and pit the surface. Unlike
glass, stainless DOES  allow some chemical transference, even though we
don't see visual evidence of it. It may not transfer any elements, or
enough of them, to harm sourdough yeasties, however. One experiment in
growing a sourdough sponge in stainless should tell you whether your bowl
will work (some grades may be more rapidly reactive than others)."

I use the stainless steel mixing bowl that came with my counter mixer for
all dough making, rising, including use as the container for fermenting
overnight "biga" used for French bread. I gave up using glass bowls more
than a year ago and never regretted it. Simplicity is the result - far less
items for cleanup or storage. I've never had a bread failure attributable
to the bowl, or when using the mixer's plastic bowl for holding a dough mix
for extended time periods. Also, both mixing bowls are far easier to handle
rather than heavy and somewhat slick glass bowls.

		- Ed Okie