Using a Cuisinart

"G. Martin" <ggmartin2@juno.com>
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 15:39:32 -0600
v100.n025.13
I received several e-mails from people wishing more info on using the
Cuisinart to make bread. I thought I would give some general info and also
a recipe.

First, some info I omitted in my first posting: I've found it works well,
when getting ready to shape your dough, if you spray the counter with
non-stick pan spray, and then place your dough on it to shape. I like this
better than shaping it on a floured counter.

Estimating sizes of bread pans: If you have used approximately 6 cups of
flour in your dough, you can make 2 loaves in 6 cup pans. If you have used
8 cups of flour, this will make 2 loaves in  8 cup pans. If you used 5 cups
of flour, use 2-6 cups pans, and the loaves will not be as big. You do not
want to put too much dough into a pan, or the loaf will end up strangely
shaped.  You really need to measure the content of your pans yourself. I've
found that the size on the pan is not always the true size---fill it with
water, counting the cups it takes. Then you know the true size.

Now, using a Cuisinart---I'm not speaking generically for any food
processor. In teaching classes over the years, I've found many other brands
do not have the motor capacity to knead the dough without damage to the
machine. Read your instruction manual. If your brand does not recommend
bread making, don't.

There are 4 main sizes of Cuisinart F.Processors. The Classic, or 10; the 8
or 11; the 7 or 14; and the X.  The Classic or 10 works best if you use no
more than 4  cups of flour; the 8 or 11 work best with no more than 5 cups;
the 7 or 14 with no more than 6 and the X with no more than 10 cups of
flour. If you are using all whole wheat, cut the quantity down to 3,4,5 and
8 respectively as it is heavier and stickier. Used half and half, whole
wheat and white, you can stick to the originally recommended quantities.

In any bread recipe that contains more than 3 1/2 cups of flour, always use
the plastic (white) dough blade. It kneads the dough better with less
strain on the motor.

Always put the dry ingredients in the machine first. I do not add my yeast
in a dry state, but always proof it in a little liquid, with a pinch of
sugar. After your dry ingredients are in, pulse once or twice to combine
them. Add the butter in unmelted state, cut into 3-4 pieces, pulse again.
Then proof your yeast in 1/4-1/2 cup of liquid and measure the remaining
liquid into a cup. The larger amount of the liquid should be cold. Faucet
cold water or milk out of the refrigerator, or whatever you are using.
Turn  the processor on and pour in the yeast mixture, then, in a slow
steady stream, while the machine runs, pour in the remaining liquid. After
it is all in, the dough should come together into a ball. DO NOT STOP THE
MACHINE. Let the ball bounce around and around for about 45 seconds. Then
stop the machine. I will assure you the dough is as fully kneaded as if you
spent 10 minutes working it by hand.  The dough is now ready for you to let
it rise the first time. Proceed as you always have. Exceptions: if your
dough is not coming together, but stays in small clumps, add water, 1
Tablespoon at a time. Allow it to continue bouncing, and then if needed,
add another Tablespoon. If on the other hand the dough is too sticky, and
doesn't clump at all, add flour, 1 or 2 Tablespoons at a time until it is
right. If you run the machine too long, the dough will overheat and the
yeast will be killed. I had one student who had tried before class to make
bread, and had let the machine run 5 minutes. It died.

I mentioned using other ingredients in combination with the liquid. I had a
question about how. If you want to vary your recipe by adding an egg, break
it into your measuring cup and add liquid to the measure the recipe called
for.  If you want to use part sour cream, put it in your cup first, and
then add liquid to the quantity called for. If your recipe calls for eggs,
or sour cream in the first place, measure the liquid and then add the eggs
&/or sour cream to the measuring cup, stir a bit and pour it in as if it
were all liquid.

CHALLAH
1/3 cup warm water
1 pkg, or 1 Tablespoon dry yeast
1 teaspoon sugar

4 1/2 cups bread flour (or 20 ounces)
3 Tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1/3 cup oil
2 eggs plus water to make 1 cup total.

GLAZE: 1 egg, pinch salt, 1 teaspoon water, sesame seeds.

Stir together the sugar, yeast and water. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes to
proof.

Fit dough blade into processor workbowl. Add flour, salt and remaining
sugar. Pulse to combine. Break eggs into 2-cup measure, then add cold water
to the 1 cup line. Add the oil. Stir to break up the eggs.

Turn machine on and pour the yeast mixture in first, then continue running
the machine as you pour in the water-egg-oil mixture in a steady stream.
Mix until dough forms a ball and cleans the side of the bowl. Challah dough
should be quite soft--almost clinging to the sides of the bowl, but not
really sticking. (If it is sticking, add flour as machine runs, by the
tablespoons until the ball will revolve.) Continue processing for 60
seconds to knead dough.

Remove dough to an oiled bowl or a 1-gallon zip type bag. Close the dough
in. Let rise in warm place until doubled. (Time varies from 45 minutes to 1
1/2 hours.)

Spray an area of your counter top. Empty dough out gently and form into a
long narrow shape about 15-18 inches long. (Don't purposely try to deflate
the dough--it will be more compliant if you just work with it. It will
naturally deflate as you do.) Place the dough on an oiled baking sheet.
With knife or scissors, cut dough into 3 long pieces for braiding. Start
braiding in the middle and go to the one end, being careful not to stretch
the dough, then go back to middle and braid to the other end. Pinch the 3
ends together at both ends of the loaf and tuck under any stray pieces.

Cover loaf loosely with oiled plastic wrap and set aside to rise until doubled.

Preheat oven to 375F before dough has fully doubled.

Whisk glaze together and brush on loaf. Sprinkle with seeds. Bake in lower
third of oven for 20 minutes, then lower temperature to 350F and bake for
10-15 minutes longer, until loaf is golden. Cool on rack.

Beginners are often confused as to how to tell if dough has doubled. One
way is to poke it with your index finger, in about 1/2". If the hole
remains after you remove your finger, it is risen. If the hole starts to
close immediately, it is not fully risen.

Hope this helps. Gloria