Eskimo Fry Bread

"Joan Ross" <rosskat@pipeline.com>
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 08:45:49 -0500
v100.n024.21
The following recipe for this fry bread is as simple as one can get.
We enjoy it with heavy sprinkles of sugar and cinnamon.
It was given to me years ago and I don't know the details of the origin.
I enjoy unusual bread and baking recipes and will try to post them from
time to time.

Assaleeak ( Eskimo Fry Bread )
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder
Enough water
oil to fry
sugar and cinnamon
melted butter to dip in ( optional )

Heat one inch or more of oil in a heavy duty pot or small skillet ( 7 to 9
inches ) to 360F ..

Meanwhile mix flour and baking powder and then mix in enough water ( around
1 cup ) until a thick batter forms. Drop the batter by a spoonfuls or ladle
into the hot oil, spreading batter as thin as possible with back of spoon
so batter almost fills the pot.This will give you  a large disc. Or you can
make smaller "puffs" just by dropping by heaping tablespoonfuls.

Fry until browned on each side ( try to turn only once ). Drain on paper
towels. Dust  heavily with granulated sugar mixed with cinnamon.  Or dip in
melted butter then in sugar.Serve immediately.Yield:  puffy bread; amounts
depend on the size of the dough being fried.  Large discs result in 2 or 3
breads in my 7 1/2 inch pot , many more when fried as puffs.

You can double the recipe if desired.You might want to add a dash of salt
to the recipe if desired.

Visit our web page: personal as well as fabulous baking & culinary topics
http://www.pipeline.com/~rosskat/
New: My Potpourri Of Dough Recipes