Oatmeal Bread

SPINLIN@aol.com
Sat, 4 Mar 2000 20:30:44 EST
v100.n024.15
Someone on the list recently requested an oatmeal bread made from leftover
cooked oatmeal.  I have been making an oatmeal bread in the bread machine
which does call for cooked oatmeal.  The recipe itself gives measurements for
cooking the oatmeal as you need it for the bread but I have just been using
approximately 1/3 to 1/2 cup of leftover cooked oatmeal (often I will have
cooked up a mixture ... oatmeal, kasha, corn meal, etc.).  My machine is one
of the old Wellbilt models which is still going strong.

Oatmeal Bread

1 tsp       yeast
1 3/4 cups  white flour (bread)
1/2 cup     whole wheat flour
3 Tbsp      cornmeal
3/4 tsp     salt
1 Tbsp      margarine
1 Tbsp      honey
(2 Tbsp oats cooked in 1/3 c water) or 1/3 to 1/2 cup of leftover cooked
cereal
1 egg in measuring cup with enough water to equal 1/2 cup
1 tsp       lemon juice

Put into bread machine according to your machine's directions.  I bake on the
white bread cycle and remove when the baking is done.  I think the taste of
the bread is far superior if it is NOT allowed to cool in the machine.
Depending on how much leftover cereal is used 2 to 3 tsp. extra water may be
required.

Someone else was also looking for Hawaiian Bread recipes.  I have never had
this type of bread but I did see some recipes recently when I was looking for
cinnamon roll recipes.  The archives are a veritable gold mine.

Lin