Oatmeal Bread from Cooked Oatmeal

Joni Repasch <jrepasch@wt.infi.net>
Sat, 26 Feb 2000 01:42:58 -0500
v100.n019.16
Recently Kristi Spitzer requested an oatmeal bread recipe made from
already cooked oatmeal.  I found one in my Beard on Bread Cookbook which
I have enclosed here. I'm also sending Kristi a copy directly.

 Oatmeal Bread with Cooked Oatmeal

"....It is an interesting, loosely textured bread with an unusual
light-brown color and a rich, full flavor.  It is delicious with sweet
butter, and it keeps well." James Beard

1 cup coarse rolled oats
1 cup boiling water
2 packages active dry yeast
1 tsp granulated sugar
1/2 cup warm water (100 -115 , approximately)
1 cup warm milk
1 Tbsp  salt
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
4-5 cups [unbleached ]all-purpose flour

Method: Electric Mixer

Mixing: Cook the oats in the boiling water until thickened, about 3
minutes. Pour into a large mixing bowl and allow to cool to lukewarm
[about 20 minutes, jtr]. Meanwhile, stir the yeast and teaspoon of sugar
into the warm water until dissolved, allow to proof. Add the warm milk,
salt, brown sugar, and yeast mixture to the oats and stir well, then
stir in 4 cups of flour, 1 cup at a time.

1st Knead & 1st Rise: Turn out on a floured board. Knead into a smooth,
pliable, elastic dough, if necessary using as much as 1/2  to 1 cup, or
more, of additional flour to get it to the right  feel. (This will take
about 10 minutes.) Shape the dough into a ball, put into a well-buttered
bowl, and turn to coat on all sides.  Cover and let rise in a warm,
draft-free place until doubled in bulk, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

2nd Knead & 2nd Rise: Punch the dough down. Knead for 2 or 3 minutes and
shape into two loaves. Throughly butter two 8 x 4 x 2-inch tins. Place
the dough in the tins, cover, and let rise in a warm place until about
even with the top of the tins, or almost doubled in bulk.

Baking: Preheat the oven to 375F , place the bread in the center of the
lowest rack, and bake for about 45 to 50 minutes, [or until internal
temperature reaches 190F  on an instant read thermometer. Jtr]. Remove
the loaves to a rack and cool.

Note: If you should want a very soft top crust, brush the loaves with
melted butter when you bring them out of the oven.

YIELD: 2 small loaves

SOURCE: "Whole-Meal Breads," Page 107