Exploding bread trick

jillmyers1@juno.com
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 16:05:52 -0800
v100.n008.9
Subject: My Two Cents
  > Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 11:00:39 -0500
  > One problem I've had. . .sometimes my loaves come out of the oven sort of
  > exploded on one side.  There is a big seam or stretched place one side.
  > The bread tastes fine, no one complains, but I'd love to know how to get my
  > loaves to come out prettier.
  > Thanks!
  > Shanda

-------Do you use a steam pan in the bottom of the oven at all?  I've used
one and it not only helps the baking but the rising is faster too.  We had
'proofers' even though they were nothing more than steam cabinets for
raising baker's racks full of thawed out french loaves and challah and the
like.  I use the same principal here at home in my oven.  I put an aluminum
roasting pan- you know the foil kind aka: cheap, in the bottom and pour hot
water in it and raise the bread in the oven with the steam engulfing the
loaves so they have a smooth expansion and crusty exterior.  Raise them
about an inch or so shorter than what the finished loaf is expected to rise
to and then bake it.  I remove it from the oven to attain the 400F and
return them once it is heated to finish off.  No need to mist loaves while
baking and if I want my sourdough browned I paint with either egg white
wash or olive oil.  The sourdough will begin to taste at its peak
sourness  and full-bodied best after a minimum of 24 hours.  That is the
hard part!
; D  Jill
'Abby Normal'
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!