Jewish Rye Bread

Betts Carpenter <bettsc@home.com>
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 07:17:13 -0500
v100.n007.3
I have been searching everywhere for a recipe for a good chewy sour
jewish-style rye bread.  If anyone has been to the Rascal House in North
Miami Beach, this is the bread I would like to replicate.  I have
experimented with several different starters which I let ferment for as
long as 3 days.  In addition, I have been adding soaked stale rye bread to
the dough.  While my bread is acceptable, it is just not quite right. I
have also purchased the rye sour flavor from the Baker's
Catalogue, and have used first clear flour in several recipes. Any ideas
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Betts