RE: Looking for German Bauernbrot Recipe

john <dienst@usit.net>
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 15:26:54 -0600
v100.n007.1
 >From: Elsie Baugh <ebaugh@rdinstruments.com>
 >Subject: Looking for German Bauernbrot Recipe
 >Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 15:33:43 -0800

 >Does anyone have a recipe for Bauernbrot?  I've tried several rye bread
 >recipes but nothing came close.

 >Thanks in advance, Elsie

Bauernbrot
800 g Rye flour
200 g coarse whole wheat flour
21 g fresh yeast
600 mL lukewarm water
1 TBS Salt
50 g melted but cooled margarine
some meal
50 g coarse chopped sunflower seeds
milk sunflower seeds

Mix the flours in a large bowl.  Dissolve the yeast in a well in the center
of the flour with 3 TBS water.  Sprinkle salt on dry flour.  Add margarine
and rest of water and stir with a spoon until smooth.  Turn onto work
surface and knead 10 to 15 minutes.  Form into a ball.  Place into an oiled
bowl and cover with plastic wrap and a towel.  Allow to rise in a warm spot
for 50 to 60 minutes.  Knead a second time and work in the sunflower seeds.
  Oil a baking sheet, form a log from the dough and brush with milk.  Allow
to rise about 15 minutes in a warm area.  Preheat oven to 400F or so.  Place
a water filled container in the oven for steam.  Bake bread for 45 -50
minutes.  10 minutes before the end of baking, brush with milk again and
sprinkle remaining seeds.  Spritz loaf with water as soon as it comes out
of the oven to develop crust.

The weights aren't all that critical.  If you uses your normal amount of
yeast, it will be OK.  I don't know how much is in a package but you can
adjust the rising time to match the amount of yeast used.  Don't add to
much flour as a rye bread stays sticky longer than wheat does.