Sally Lunn Recipes for Gypsy Re: V100.N004

Joni Repasch <jrepasch@wt.infi.net>
Sun, 16 Jan 2000 15:07:34 -0500
v100.n006.12
 >Subject: Sally Lunn Recipes for Gypsy
 >Re: V100.N004

Hi Gypsy and List,

Here are two Sally Lunn recipes you might like to try.  The first, by James
Beard, is not one I have attempted, but I like his recommendations in his
introduction.

The second recipe is the one I have used for years and is so very much like
the one my grandmother (Mary Thompson) used to prepare. Like your
mother-in-law, Mrs. Thompson was not noted for her cooking talents, but
when it came to Sally Lunn and Fried Red Tomatoes, nothing could touch her
recipes and methods.  As stated in my notes at bottom of this second
recipe, my KitchenAid does a great job of mixing and beating the dough.

Have fun with these!

Joni Repasch
  Sally Lunn (1)

"This is an old, old recipe for Sally Lunn.  I like to bake it in a large
tube pan and invert it.  It makes a beautiful standing loaf that, when
fresh, should be torn apart with forks rather than cutting, to retain its
lightness. Or, after cooling, it can be sliced and toasted. If you have
some left, I recommend that you freeze it and use it sliced and toasted."
(James Beard)

1 packages active dry yeast
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup warm water (100-115F,  approximately)
1/2 cup lukewarm milk
1 stick butter, melted in the milk
1 tsp salt
3 eggs
3 1/2 to 4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

MIXING: Combine the yeast, sugar, and warm water in a mixing bowl, and
allow to proof.  Add the milk, butter, and salt, and stir well to
combine.  Add the eggs and incorporate them well with a wooden spoon.
Then add the flour in small amounts, and beat well with a wooden spoon
after each addition. Make a stiff but workable batter, using up to four
cups of flour if necessary.

FIRST RISE: Cover the bowl, and let the batter rise slowly in a rather cool
spot until doubled in bulk.  Beat it down with a wooden spoon for about 1
minutes. Scrape into a well-buttered 9 or 10 inch tube pan.

SECOND RISE:  Let the batter rise?this time to the very top of the pan.

BAKING: Bake in a preheated 375F oven 45 to 50 minutes or until the bread
is dark and golden on top [and internal temperature reaches 190F on and
instant-read thermometer, jtr]. Turn out on a rack to cool, or serve warm,
if you prefer, with sweet butter.

YIELD: 1 ring loaf

SOURCE: From: "Batter Breads," Page 152, Beard on Bread, 1987

  Sally Lunn (2)

1 qt flour (5 cups in humid weather)
3 large or 4 small eggs, separated
1/2 cup shortening and ½ cup butter  (mixed and melted but NOT BUBBLY )
1 cup tepid milk
3 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt
1 package yeast, (or scant 1 Tbsp) dissolved in 1/2 cup lukewarm water

METHOD: Preheat oven to 325F during SECOND RISE

Beat eggs separately. Place egg yolks into large mixing bowl or Electric
Mixer.  Beat egg whites in a small bowl until stiff but not dry. In another
mixing bowl add sugar and salt to flour.  Set aside.

MIXING, BEATING AND FIRST RISE: Melt shortening and butter together, cool
slightly, and pour into egg yolks. Add warm milk, yeast, flour mixture  and
stiffly beaten egg whites. Beat thoroughly, brush with melted butter, cover
with wax paper and towel; set aside in warm place until it rises to double
in size. About 3 hours.

SECOND BEATING AND SECOND RISE: Beat by hand about 5 minutes. (Don't
cheat). (If using Electric Mixer, use paddle and beat about 3 minutes on
speed TWO). Pour into greased funnel cake pan and, cover with greased wax
paper and a clean towel; let rise again (1 1/2 to 2 hours).

Bake in moderate oven about 45 minutes.. Start oven at 325F.
When half done (22 minutes) INCREASE to 375F.
Serve with lots of butter.

NOTES:
This dough is really a batter, too thin to knead. Nonetheless, it should
be much thicker than cake batter. If more than 4 cups flour is required,
add another cup slowly after all other ingredients have been incorporated.
Blend well. I have found, after years of preparing this bread by hand, that
my KitchenAid works just fine, just shorten the SECOND BEATING time to
about 3 minutes. (Joni Repasch)

SOURCE: Mrs Charles Lambeth, from: Old North State Cook Book, Charlotte,
NC, and contributed to The Southern Cook Book, 1951, by Marion Brown.
Inspired by Mary Jones Thompson of Christiansburg, VA