Re: Digest bread-bakers.v100.n002

Blanche007@aol.com
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 12:45:20 EST
v100.n005.4
 > From: "Jay and Stephanie Prosser" <jwprosser@mindspring.com>
 > Subject: English Muffins
 > Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2000 18:23:41 -0500
 >
 > I am looking for a recipe for English Muffins.  I have tried three different
 > ones and still haven't been able to duplicate the taste and texture.  I have
 > English Muffin rings but have not found a recipe that would use them.  My
 > recipes call for rolling out the dough and using something to cut the
 > rounds.  One of the ones I have tried was Bernard Clayton's.  That recipe
 > turned out the worst.  I would appreciate any help or advise.  Thanks.

"Beard on Bread" by James Beard (Random House, I think) has a terrific
recipe that is actually 'baked' in the microwave, then toasted in the
oven.  It sounds weird but really works.

Lora Brody

 > From: Linea Benson <linea.benson@twcable.com>
 > Subject: Looking for flatbread cracker recipe
 > Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 12:37:59 -0500
 >
 > My mom has been searching for a recipe for flatbread crackers, but has been
 > having no luck.  What she described is a flat hard cracker (sometimes sold
 > commercially in roughly 6" x 2" long strips) with sesame or poppy seeds,
 > garlic or onion and other spices on top.
 >
 > Any info would be appreciated!

Sourdough Rye Flatbread

3 tablespoons Lora Brody's Sour Dough Bread Enhancer (email me at
       blanche007@aol.com for a free sample)
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups all purpose unbleached white flour
1 cup  medium rye flour
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 cup warm water or extra to make a soft, smooth ball of dough after the
       first 5-7 minutes  of kneading
1/3 cup  vegetable or garlic oil
2 tablespoons black strap molasses
1 egg white mixed with 2 tablespoons water
4-5 tablespoons mixed seeds
coarse salt

Place all the ingredients except the egg white and seeds in the bread machine
and program for DOUGH using the Whole Wheat Setting if available.  Watch the
dough forming during the first few minutes of the kneading cycle, adding
additional water or white flour as needed to form a smooth, moist, supple
ball.  Knead until a smooth ball has formed.

Preheat the oven to 450F with the rack in the center position. Line 4 large
baking sheets with parchment.  Either by hand or using a pasta machine roll
the dough into long strips 1/8" thick.  Place the strips on the baking sheets,
brush with egg with and sprinkle with seeds and salt.  Press lightly with
your fingers to push the seeds into the dough.  Working with one baking sheet
at a time, for 5-6 minutes, then loosen the strips and place them right on
oven rack to bake for another 3-4 minutes until crisp and brown, but not
burned.  These will not cook evenly.  Cool on racks before storing at room
temperature.

Lora Brody

 > From: Erin Nesmith <enesmith@earthlink.net>
 > Subject: my sourdough isn't sour
 > Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2000 15:59:52 -0600
 >
 > I have just made a sourdough starter using the method outlined in "More
 > Bread Machine Magic."  It included yogurt, nonfat milk, and bread
 > flour.  I've used the starter in two bread machine recipes so far, and
 > while the texture and appearance have been fine, there just hasn't been
 > much sour taste.  They both tasted like white bread.  Do starters get
 > more tangy as they age?  Or should I just use some of the sourdough
 > bread enhancers I've seen listed in the King Arthur catalog?  Or do I
 > need to use a recipe with a sponge?  I can make it in the bread machine
 > or by hand, but I don't want a recipe that begins with:  "Day One..."

We'll be happy to send you a free sample of Lora Brody's Sourdough Bread
Enhancer which can be used on its own to turn any dough into sour dough, or
in conjunction with a starter to intensify the flavor. Email us at
blanche007@aol.com

Lora Brody

 > From: DarraghV@aol.com
 > Subject: Yeast Question
 > Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 15:15:27 EST
 >
 > Hi all--
 > I was just in Sam's and noticed they had bulk yeast--can this be used in a
 > breadmaker?  I have been using the rapid rise yeast that comes in a small
 > jar and it is expensive.  What would be the amount to use compared to the
 > rapid rise?  Also, how would you store the unused portion and how long
would
 > it last?  Thanks for the help.
 > Dara

Yes, you can use the bulk yeast from Sam's in a bread machine.  I think rapid
rise yeast turns out an inferior  loaf- any time you hasten the process you
rob the finished loaf of flavor and texture.  It's the amount of time that
the yeast gets to work on the ingredients that contributes enormously to the
quality of the finished product.  Don't rush it - it doesn't taste nearly as
good.

Lora Brody