cost to bake

Lobo <lobo119@worldnet.att.net>
Sun, 02 Jan 2000 14:24:39 -0700
v100.n002.8
CHAMBERS <captnemo@eagle.cc.ukans.edu> wrote:

>Anyone ever figured out what it costs to bake a loaf of bread? I'd want to
>include a complete list of costs: flour, yeast, (well, maybe not water!),
>electricity at least.  I've been challenged by a friend who thinks it's
>more expensive to bake at home than buy good bread at a local bakery shop.

I did it quite a long time ago (but didn't include electricity) and it was
considerably cheaper.  Good bread at a local bakery is at least $2 and more
often $3.50 if they add anything.  If you make white bread with margarine
or lard, use water (or sour milk you'd throw out anyway) I'd bet they
aren't more than 50 cents each .. if that much.  I don't know how you'd
figure electricity.

You also have to figure in the gas it costs to drive to the bakery and the
cost of the cookie you buy to munch on the way home along with the latte to
wash down the cookie and the book you buy when you stop to get the latte
and the fabric you buy to make the quilt you found in the book and then the
new pillows to go with the new quilt and then the company you feed when you
invite them to come sleep under your new quilt .... yes ... homemade bread
has GOT to be cheaper  ;)