my sourdough isn't sour

Erin Nesmith <enesmith@earthlink.net>
Sun, 02 Jan 2000 15:59:52 -0600
v100.n002.6
Hello,

I am new to the list, so if this is an old topic, please send me to the
appropriate digest.

I have just made a sourdough starter using the method outlined in "More
Bread Machine Magic."  It included yogurt, nonfat milk, and bread
flour.  I've used the starter in two bread machine recipes so far, and
while the texture and appearance have been fine, there just hasn't been
much sour taste.  They both tasted like white bread.  Do starters get
more tangy as they age?  Or should I just use some of the sourdough
bread enhancers I've seen listed in the King Arthur catalog?  Or do I
need to use a recipe with a sponge?  I can make it in the bread machine
or by hand, but I don't want a recipe that begins with:  "Day One..."

My ideal sourdough loaf does not taste like white bread at all, rather
it is tangy, chewy, and full of little holes.  The crust does not have
to be brittle.  I am on a quest to make this bread myself, and any
suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
Erin