Bread flour from Sam's Club

"J. Mathew" <joanm@bigfoot.com>
Sat, 11 Dec 1999 06:34:24 -0600
v099.n068.3
>  In seeking a larger than 5 lb. bag of bread flour I find the local
> Sam's
> Club offers a 25 lb. bag.  It is labeled  as Bread Flour, however it is
> also bleached and enriched.  The protein content seems to me to be low,
> sorry I do not recall the precise number.  Is this a suitable flour for
> home baking?

Hi there,
  Yes, the bread flour they carry is suitable for home baking.
Unfortunately, I've had bad luck with their flours being filled with
creepy-crawlies when I opened it or very shortly thereafter.  This has
been a disappointment because Sam's Club is fairly close to me and
provides a good way for me to get bulk items at relatively good prices.

  I would suggest that you go ahead and try it, but open it up and sift it
through thoroughly before using the flour.  If it's filled with crawlies
then you can just take it back for a refund.

  This problem I've had with their flours may be related to my area of
residence:  I live in Texas.  Perhaps you will not have as many problems
with this product as I've experienced.

Good luck,
Joan