Re: Digest bread-bakers.v099.n066

Blanche007@aol.com
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 12:20:25 EST
v099.n067.17
Replies etc. from Lora Brody in CAPS:

>--------------- MESSAGE bread-bakers.v099.n066.1 ---------------
>
>From: Jack Elliott <edieell@worldnet.att.net>
>Subject: Bread Flour
>Date: Sun, 05 Dec 1999 12:58:50 -0500
>

>    In seeking a larger than 5 lb. bag of bread flour I find the local Sam's
>Club offers a 25 lb. bag.  It is labeled  as Bread Flour, however it is
>also bleached and enriched.  The protein content seems to me to be low,
>sorry I do not recall the precise number.  Is this a suitable flour for
>home baking?

NO - YOU SHOULD NOT BE USING BLEACHED FLOUR FOR BREAD BAKING.
BLEACHING IS A CHEMICAL PROCESS THAT ONLY MAKES THE FLOUR WHITER - IT HAS NO
OTHER PURPOSE, ESPECIALLY WHEN IT COME TO BAKING BREAD.  WHY WOULD YOU WANT
YOUR FLOUR TREATED WITH CHLORINE BLEACH?  STICK TO AN UNBLEACHED, UNBORMATED
FLOUR SUCH AS KING ARTHUR ALL PURPOSE.

LORA

>--------------- MESSAGE bread-bakers.v099.n066.2 ---------------
>
>From: DebHSN@aol.com
>Subject: Jeanne's "heavy" whole grain loaves
>Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 15:55:14 EST
>
>When I bake breads with lots of grains and/or nuts, I add wheat gluten
>(purchased at a local health food store). It allows a loaf with a nice
>texture (as apposed to the bricks I used to get when I used all whole grain
>flours), but lets you keep the whole grain thing going. Directions on the
>package tell you how much to use. It really works-makes a great bread!

I'LL BE HAPPY TO SEND YOU (ANY ANYONE ELSE WHO IS INTERESTED) A FREE SMAPLE
OF MY BREAD DOUGH ENHANCER WHICH WILL DO THE SAME THING, PLUS EXTEND THE
SHELF LIFE OF YOUR BREAD.  YOU CAN EMAIL ME DIRECTLY BLANCHE007@AOL,COM, OR
GO THROUGH OUR WEB SITE: WWW.LORABRODY.COM, OR CALL OUR TOLL FREE NUMBER
(888) 9BAKEIT.

LORA BRODY

>--------------- MESSAGE bread-bakers.v099.n066.6 ---------------
>
>From: "heather sarsfield" <izzarina@mac-addict.com>
>Subject: Bulk Flour
>Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 16:44:08 -0500
>
>Hi, I am rather new to this list (it seems you all hear that one a lot!!).
>I am not a "great" bread baker, but I would like to be, and that is why I
>joined this list!
>i have a question that I am hoping someone can help me with. I have a large
>family (6 children) and thus I do bake a LOT. I would love to be able to
>buy good flour for a fairly cheap price in 25-50 lb bags. I have looked
>into restaurant distributors, but it seems with most of those you have to
>buy in very large quantities. The most I would get at one time would be 100
>lbs. I am looking for just general all purpose white flour that is not
>bleached (like King Arthur). I would also want it to be good for breads,
>for I am baking my own exclusively instead of buying from the store. I hope
>this wasn't too long. Thanks in advance for any help you all can give! :-)
>
>Heather Sarsfield

HEATHER - WHY DON'T YOU CALL KING ARTHUR AT 802 649-3881
AND ASK ABOUT BUYING FROM IN FOOD SERVICE VOLUME - OR ASK ABOUT A FOOD
SERVICE OUTLET NEAR YOU.

LORA

>--------------- MESSAGE bread-bakers.v099.n066.7 ---------------
>
>From: SloSherri@aol.com
>Subject: Kitchen Aide vs. Cuisinart vs. Hand kneading
>Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 19:19:13 EST
>
>Frank writes:
>
> >what I should do to be more consistently successful with the KA.  I hope
> >they offer their responses, because I'm interested to hear them.  Right now
> >I use my KA for cakes and cookie mixes and making meringues.

HI - CAN YOU BE A LITTLE MORE SPECIFIC ABOUT WHAT KIND OF PROBLEMS YOU ARE
HAVING WITH THE KITCHEN AIDE AND I CAN TRY TO HELP YOU.

LORA

>Frank,
>
>I have had a Kitchen Aide mixer for nearly 20 years (gads!  how can that be?!
>  that would mean I'm getting ... old!), and I agree with you about the poor
>quality of the KA's kneading process.  I quickly gave up on it after some
>repeated failures, and have just kneaded my bread the old fashioned way for
>years.  I never thought the Cuisinart would be up to the task, and anyway, I
>LIKE kneading bread.  So, I agree with you in your analysis of the KA (I
>thought you might need some support here!)  It is fine for cookies, cakes,
>meringues, mashed potatoes, and any general (and long - to give it credit)
>tasks.  But kneading bread?  If you don't mind beating the dough back into
>the bowl repeatedly, I guess it's adequate!
>
>Sherri
>
>--------------- MESSAGE bread-bakers.v099.n066.8 ---------------
>
>From: fred smith <fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>
>Subject: lightening whole grain breads
>Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 13:30:34 -0500
>
> > Does anyone have any suggestions to "lighten" up whole grain breads?  Mine
> > are so dense, they are hard to cut.  I don't like to use dairy products or
> > very much white flour as I'm looking for a healthy loaf of bread.
>
>One thing you might want to experiment with is King Arthur's "White Whole
>Wheat" flour. I've been using it more and more and find I really love it.
>If used alone with no white flour it gives a light-colored loaf (not as
>light as white, but nowhere near as dark as "normal" whole wheat) with a
>much lighter flavor than ordinary whole wheat flour, yet a wonderful whole
>wheat flavor.

AGAIN, I'LL BE GLAD TO SEND YOU A FREE SMAPLE OF THE ENHANCER.

LORA