Bread flour/bulk flour/cookbook recommendations

"Pua-Mai-'I-Mai Young" <msy@iav.com>
Sat, 11 Dec 1999 17:44:10 -0600
v099.n067.15

And then Heather Sarsfield wrote:

>...I would love to be able to
>buy good flour for a fairly cheap price in 25-50 lb bags. I have looked
>into restaurant distributors, but it seems with most of those you have to
>buy in very large quantities. The most I would get at one time would be 100
>lbs. I am looking for just general all purpose white flour that is not
>bleached (like King Arthur). I would also want it to be good for breads,
>for I am baking my own exclusively instead of buying from the store.

I buy my bread flour in 25 lb. bags from my local Costco.  It could even be
the same brand Jack found at Sam's Club.  While I'm a newbie at bread baking
and so far haven't left the safety of my wonderful Oster machine, I've made
delicious breads with the flour and I'm very satisfied with the results.
Heather, if there's a club store in your area, you may want to check it out.
Or you may want to inquire at a local health food store.  You may be able to
buy in bulk there in quantities less than 100 lbs.  That's where I buy all my
bulk miscellaneous ingredients, from stoneground whole wheat flour to granola
to spices, especially dill -- it costs about 1/20 the grocery store price in
the little jar!

Andie Paysinger wrote:

>My mother owned a bakery in a little town in Wisconsin and most of the
>people in the area were of German extraction so we made German-type breads,
>water rolls (hard rolls).

Having just visited the New Glarus, WI Swiss bakery on Thursday, I certainly
appreciated your post!

A couple weeks ago there were some requests for good bread cookbooks.  I'd
like to add The Bread Machine Cookbook series by Donna Rathmell German.  There
are at least six volumes in this paperback series, which are easy to spot on
the bookstore shelf because they're half-height.  I have three of the books
and I've had a wonderful time going through and testing various recipes.  I've
certainly never had any complaints from my coworkers, who are my taste
testers/guinea pigs.

Thanks to everyone for making this such an informative and friendly list.

Melinda
Melinda Young   http://www.the-waterfall.com/   melinda@the-waterfall.com