Panetonne vs. Pandoro

"Jazzbel" <jazzbel@grouper.batelnet.bs>
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 19:31:34 -0500
v099.n066.10
 > From: "J. Mathew" <joanm@bigfoot.com>
 > Subject: panettone / pandoro
 >

 > Someone on the list recently asked about recipes for panettone, and I'm
 > very interested in that, as well.  I'd also like to ask the list members
 > what the difference is between panettone and pandoro?  I read somewhere
 > recently that it's very similar except for the amount of fruit, but that
 > didn't really clarify the issue for me.  I'd love to see recipes for both
 > of them here on the list and try them out for myself.
 >
 > Thanks in advance,
 > Joan

  Pandoro, bread of  Verona, is indeed, a cousin to Panetonne.
Except it takes no raisins or currants and the proportion of candied
citron is up to you.  Vanilla and Grand marnier or Lemon extract take care
of the taste of the egg yolks.

Real Panetonne, in my opinion, should be made with a sponge (little sugar,
yeast, beaten egg), then a first mixing of the dough(half of the flour,
half of the eggs, half of the butter)--which is left to rise, then a final
dough (rest of the flour, the sugar, rest of the eggs, the fruit, vanilla
and grand marnier, rest of the butter) You don't have to use bread flour --
italian flour is soft and the lecithin in all those eggs.  Madeleine
Kamman's recipe should be a good one--the butter is just right.  I would
keep the aniseed back--aniseed and fennel seeds are used in the egg breads
of Lake Como (Matalaug).

I cut the butter in small pieces and let it soften just a little bit and
mix it in with the KA mixer.  Learned the trick from Shirley Corriher's book.

The pandoro mold is star-shape and I think "Maid of Scandinavia" has it for
sale.  A taller, narrower, budt pan is a good substitute.

Later,
Jazzbel

"A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch".
--James Beard.