Aussie Baker

Lobo <lobo119@worldnet.att.net>
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 10:31:08 -0700
v099.n064.22
Bryan wrote:

> I'm Bryan from Australia and have only recently signed up on the list. ...
> I am currently doing my last year in my apprenticeship ... I was just
> wondering whether anyone knows of any bakeries that would employ bakers
> from overseas like an exchange program so that I can gain some experience
> working in international bakeries.

There's a wonderful chain here called Great Harvest Bread.  They're based
in Billings, Montana (sorry, I don't have the address at hand, but you can
probably find it on a Yellow Pages URL).  Their franchises are in various
cities in the West, Colorado Springs, Colorado to name one.

I considered buying their franchise at one time.  I went to the local store
and inquired about working for them.  I wanted to learn more about the
business and also whether I had the stamina and could maintain a continuing
interest in such an endeavor.  I offered to work for free.  (I was
interested in opening the store in a different state.)

The owner was extremely kind and helpful.  He spent an hour and a half
talking to me.  But he had all the staff he needed, and was honest in
telling me that he wouldn't want to invest time and training in someone
(even a free employee) who might then take the recipes and methods and not
buy the franchise.

Anyway ... short story made long ... Great Harvest makes a variety of
wonderful breads, muffins and cookies, sells to restaurants and the public,
and might be a good place to inquire.