Bread mac/barley/bland

Andie Paysinger <asenji@earthlink.net>
Sat, 20 Nov 1999 09:46:32 -0800
v099.n062.7
Gypsy wrote-----

>>Speaking of barley (I'm too tired tonight to do a graceful segue) I
recently made a loaf of Carolina Rice Bread, from the "Ultimate Bread
Machine" cookbook and while the texture is nice (although the crust sure
got crisp in a hurry) it has very little flavor. Has anyone experimented
with using cooked barley in breads, and if so, how did it turn out? I have
used barley in place of rice for pilafs and it has a wonderful flavor, but
doesn't cook up as soft and fluffy as rice. If barley won't work, are there
other grains I could use instead that would give it the same nice texture
but not wipe out the flavor? (I can't even discern sugar or salt. I can
barely taste flour. It's THAT bland.)<<

Gypsy here is a "trick"  I learned from my grandmother who "toasted" all
whole grains  before grinding them  and also "toasted"  already ground
meal and flour  prior to using them in  bread/rolls, etc. Spread the grain
(or flour) about 1/2 inch deep in a baking pan and place in a medium oven -
using a broad spatula, stir the grain  every  8 minutes or so, end to end
and side to side.  If flour, remove from oven just when you begin to see a
slight beige color develop - usually 20 to 25 minutes.  Grain will take a
bit longer, perhaps 35 to 45 minutes.
Larger grains such as barley may take even longer.   You can also toast the
grains on top of the stove in a cast iron pan but it has to be absolutely
dry, no grease residue at all and you need a really big pan and have to
stir constantly.   This toasting enhances the flavor of any grain or seed -
amaranth, sesame, teff, triticale, corn, etc. particularly if the grain has
perhaps been stored a bit too long and is slightly stale.
You may also toast rolled or steel cut oats, wheat bulgar, and all kinds
of nuts.
I make a chestnut bread using chestnuts that have been steamed, roasted,
then dried and ground into flour.  A lot of work, but a heavenly taste.

--
Andie Paysinger & the PENDRAGON Basenjis,Teafer,Cheesy,Singer & Player
asenji@earthlink.net    So. Calif. USA   "In the face of adversity, be