Potato Bread/Roll Recipe

Joni Repasch <jrepasch@wt.infi.net>
Sun, 14 Nov 1999 20:49:20 -0500
v099.n061.4
This is my second attempt corresponding with the BBD. The first time I
tried this I sent my e-mail to the errors.list and don't think it ever
made it to the right people.
[Editor's Note: errors is just the name of the machine that processes the
list.  It doesn't know that this is it's name ... so if you address
something to 'errors' it will just dump it in the trash.  Please send all
posts to <bread-bakers@lists.best.com> ... thanks, Reggie]

Anyway, I think this is a great newsgroup. People are so willing to help
others in their search for the perfect 'loaf.'  You're a nice bunch of people.

Some weeks ago Sheila Logan requested a potato bread/roll recipe. Because
she needed it by Nov 1, I sent a bread recipe directly to her. However, I
was not able to help her with the twofold request of bread/roll recipe.  In
the meantime I tried one of the Betty Crocker recipes sent in by readers.
Because I love bread using potatoes my first choice was the Refrigerator
Roll Dough which called for potatoes as an ingredient.  I found this recipe
excellent.  The recipe calls for using 1/4 of the recipe to make about 6-8
rolls. Remainder of the dough can be kept up to five days.  After the 2nd
day of making rolls thought I'd try making the last half as a loaf bread.
What a wonderful surprise. Delicious.

Here is the method I used.  Used KitchenAid for mixing and kneading.

Bread loaf was made 3 days after preparing the dough.

Removed 1/2 of the total dough from the refrigerator and allowed to come to
room temperature about 1 1/2 hours.  Turned the dough out on a floured
board and punched down.  Allowed to rest several minutes then kneaded it
for another few minutes. Placed the dough in an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 3 inch loaf
pan which had been well greased with Crisco.  Sprayed the top with olive
oil, covered and allowed to rise about 1 1/2 hours.  In my case the dough
did not rise above the rim of the pan.  Brushed the top with melted butter
and baked in a preheated oven about 40 minutes at 365F (that's correct,
365F). Tested with instant read thermometer.  It reached the required 190F
in the 40 minutes
baking time. Brushed  top of loaf as soon as it came out of the oven.

The aroma of this bread baking was so seductive  that as soon as I removed
it from the pan I just had to taste it, despite all the rules that say
"allow to come to room temperature."  The first two slices cut very easily
while still hot and what a delightful taste: very yeasty and extremely light.

I'd like to thank Bruce Edwards for submitting this recipe to the
Bread-Bakers-Digest and just maybe Shelia now has a two-in-one recipe.
Sorry 3 weeks late, Shelia.

In this, my first attempt to make these rolls......I was looking for a very
rich dough....so I cut back on the amount of water called for to 3/4 cup
and used about 6 cups of flour including that needed for the kneading
process. I also used the water in which the potatoes were cooked as the
"water ingredients."  Next time I might cut back even more on the water to
2/3 cup as the dough was very slack and a little difficult to work with,
particularly in forming the roll recipe.

Happy baking, folks,

Joni Repasch

"Save a tree/irk the postal service: DO IT in e-mail."