Bread Tunnels

"Willie J. Prejean" <prejean@urjet.net>
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 20:07:26 -0600
v099.n061.2
I read the comments about bread tunnels in bread in an E-Mail from
bread-bakers@lists.best.com. I did not know how to respond to this comment.,
so I wrote to <Mark_Judman@colpal.com>.  He answered my mail and advised me
to respond to bread-bakers@lists.best.com so everyone would get it.
Folowing is what I wrote to Mark Judman:

One major cause of tunnels or large holes in bread is a hot dough which was
allowed to age excessively.  Excessive yeast in the dough will  also cause
the dough to age excessively. Someone said overproofing will also cause
that problem which is true..

A bread dough should come out of the mixer between 78-82F. to produce bread
with the best interior qualities and aroma and taste.  The most desirable
acids (Mainly Acedic Acid and a small amount of Lactic Acid plus Ethyl
Alcohol) are produced in the range of 78 and 90F.  There are chemical changes
constantly taking place in a fermenting dough.  Even though 90 degree F.and
above are a little high while in the proof box, it won't remain at that
temperature long enough to effect the flavor and other loaf
characteristics.  The unique Bread Flavors are produced when Ethyl Alcohol
and Lactic Acid and other acids react chemically together to form Esters.

The undesirable flavors produced at high temperatures are Lactic Acid and
Butyric Acid plus many other types of acids all of which produce strong
odors and sour taste.  Bakers who produce French Breads and Rye Breads mix
their doughs even lower than those mentioned above and allow the dough to
ferment slowly for a day or in some cases 2 or 3 days.  The cooler the
dough and the longer the fermentation period, the better the taste and flavor.

The information above can be found in my Web Site titled "Willie Prejean's
Baking and Baking Science"     The URL is:
http://users.accesscomm.net/prejean

Willie from Spring, Texas a suburb of Houston