(no subject)

Haacknjack@aol.com
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 21:55:06 EST
and longest, The Tassajara Bread Book by Edward Espe Brown (still have the --
very well worn -- original paperback, and of course find it much superior to
the recently-released 25th anniversary update).  Lots of good bread science,
some very traditional stuff (salt-rising bread, unyeasted (wild yeast)
options) and some fun "dress-up" desserts and such.  There's an eggless,
dairyless layer cake with whipped date "frosting" which served as a GREAT
birthday cake for a very allergic child for a number of years.

Bernard Clayton is a fine new book.  An older one that's very interesting is
Our Daily Bread (Stella Standard).  Mine's copyright 1970, don't know if it's
still around (the paperback banner touts "The complete $9.95 hardcover
cookbook NOW ONLY $2.00!).  A recipie a day, lots of ethnic specialties.

Finally, one offered over the past couple of years by King Arthur, Secrets of
a Jewish Baker.  George Greenstein dishes out some fabulous sourdough
recipies, Challah to die for, and quite a number of great breads I never
thought of as Jewish.  Lots of education in the front "Breadmaking A to Z"
section.

Have fun!!