Betty Crocker's Rolls and Nick Malgieri's Dark Caraway Rye Bread

rls-1850@juno.com
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 08:27:12 -0500
v099.n053.19
Marie, you asked about rolls made from a recipe from an old Betty Crocker
cookbook.  Did the book have color pictures, or black and white?  I had
the colored-picture version, 1969 I think, but gave it away and so couldn't
help you with that.  But I do have the Betty Crocker Picture Cook Book,
copyright 1950, with black and white photos and drawings in reddish ink.
I've seen ads in the last few weeks for a reprint of this book.
Unfortunately I don't have the information right now, but if I see it again
I'll be happy to pass it on if you're interested.  Meanwhile, if you think
the Picture Cook Book has the recipe you want and you don't want to buy the
book, please let me know and I'll see what I can do about sending you the
recipe you're after.

And Barbara, maybe this recipe is close to what you're looking for.  You
could add raisins and other seeds (such as the Williams Sonoma Four Seed
Baking Blend, which lists on the label poppy, sesame, caraway, and fennel
seeds) on your own, and perhaps bake the bread in a pullman pan to get
the square shape you're after.  Good luck.

		"Dark Caraway Rye Bread"
		from _How to Bake_ by Nick Malgieri

SPONGE
1 cup warm tap water (about 110 degrees)
2 1/2 teaspoons (1 envelope) active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

DOUGH
1/2 to 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup medium or whole-grain rye flour
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon ground caraway seeds
1 tablespoon whole caraway seeds
1 tablespoon unsulfured molasses
1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
All the sponge, above

One cookie sheet or jelly-roll pan dusted with cornmeal

ONE LARGE OVAL LOAF

	"The secret of the rich rye flavor of this bread is the addition
to the dough of ground, as well as whole, caraway seeds.
	"Ground caraway is sometimes available in health food stores.  If
you can't find it already ground, grind the seeds with a mortar and
pestle, spice grinder, or clean coffee grinder.

"1.  To make the sponge, place the water in a mixing bowl and whisk in
the yeast.  Stir in the flour smoothly, then cover with plastic wrap and
let the sponge rise until tripled in volume and very bubbly, about 3
hours.

"2.  To mix the dough by machine, place the 1/2 cup of flour, remaining
ingredients, and the sponge in the bowl of a heavy-duty mixer.  Mix with
a dough hook on low speed for about 5 minutes, until the dough is smooth
and somewhat elastic.  If the dough is very soft, add the remaining
flour, a tablespoon at a time, continuing to mix until the dough is
smooth and elastic.
	"To mix the dough in a food processor, place the sponge, 1/2 cup
of flour, and remaining ingredients in a work bowl fitted with a metal
blade.  Pulse repeatedly until the dough forms a ball (if the dough will
not form a ball, add the remaining flour, a tablespoon at a time, and
pulse until the dough forms a ball).  Let the dough rest for 5 minutes,
then let the machine run continuously for 20 seconds.

"3.  Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl (you may need the help of a
scraper) and turn the dough over so the top is oiled.  Cover the bowl
with plastic wrap and allow the dough to rise at room temperature until
the dough has doubled, about 1 hour.  If you wish to interrupt the
process, let the dough begin to rise, then punch down, cover tightly, and
refrigerate.  To proceed, bring the dough back to room temperature until
the dough begins rising again.

"4.  After the dough has risen, punch it down, form it into a ball, and
return it to the bowl; cover and let rise until doubled again, about 1
hour.

"5.  To form a loaf, turn the dough out onto a work surface and deflate
the dough.  Form the dough into a even ball by pushing and tucking toward
the center all around the bottom.  Cover with plastic wrap or a towel and
allow to rest for 5 minutes.  Flour your hands and roll the loaf,
pressing on the center with your palms, and rolling it back and forth to
elongate it slightly.  Place the oval on the prepared pan and cover with
oiled plastic wrap or a towel.  Allow to rise until doubled, about 1
hour.

"6.  About 30 minutes before you intend to bake the loaf, set the racks
at the middle and lowest levels of the oven and preheat to 500F.
Set a pan on the lowest rack to absorb some of the excess bottom heat and
keep the bottom of the loaf from burning.

"7.  Place the loaf in the oven and lower the temperature to 450F.
 After the loaf has baked for 20 minutes and is completely risen, lower
the temperature to 350F and continue baking for 20 to 30 minutes
longer, until the bread is well risen and a dark golden color.  It should
reach an internal temperature of about 210F.

"8.  Remove the loaf from the oven and cool on a rack.

"SERVING:  Slice the bread about 1/2 inch thick, or a little thinner for
sandwiches, with a sharp serrated knife.

"STORAGE:  On the day it is baked, keep the bread loosely covered at room
temperature.  For longer storage, wrap in plastic and freeze for up to 1
month.

		"VARIATION

"LIGHT RYE BREAD:  For a milder flavor, omit the ground caraway and
molasses."