Lithuanian Rye Bread

MSUE-Bay County <chamberj@msue.msu.edu>
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 16:00:39 -0400
v099.n051.10
Greetings, Fellow Bread-bakers!

I have just joined the list and have already found many wonderful recipes
I'm eager to try.

For several years I have been looking for a recipe for a bread that was made
by a family bakery (Winners) in Saginaw, Michigan.  It was called Lithuanian
Rye Bread, and it was a light rye that had a certain "tang" to it.  When I
was young, I would ride my bicycle to the bakery, where you could see the
fresh-baked loaves being taken out of the big ovens (ah, the aroma!).  It
would still be warm when I returned home, and my mother would give me the
first slice.  (Aren't memories wonderful, when you can remember things like
this with all your senses?)

Over the years, my mother and I have tried several rye bread recipes but so
far we have been unable to duplicate the taste and texture of that original
loaf.

Does anyone happen to have a recipe for this bread that they would be
willing to share?