Mixers

"Christine Dalrymple" <cddalrymple@email.msn.com>
Sat, 2 Oct 1999 15:36:52 -0500
v099.n050.1
Hi, all! I recently joined the list and am thoroughly enjoying the exchange
of ideas, info and recipes. I quit smoking a few months ago and decided to
make bread baking (by hand) my new addiction! Have gone through all archived
posts and pulled out a ton of recipes. FYI....my favorites (so far) are
porcupine , all-american, Ethiopian honey, Mediterranean multigrain, banana
swirl, dill pickle (really!), blueberry corn muffins, and chocolate walnut.
Newbies...these are definitely worth the time spent digging through the
archives.

There was info requested a short time ago that never received any replies:
What's the difference between heavy duty mixers? Plusses, minusses, prices,
etc. I have been saving my cigarette money to purchase a KA 5 qt, 350 watt
mixer. Saw a few different types briefly mentioned in archives, but don't
know where to find them in the US. Would like to make an informed decision
since this is an expensive item for me. TIA, Chris

As a thank you, here is my very favorite quick bread.

Blueberry Quick Bread
>From the Too Busy to Cook Cookbook

This delicious bread is a much requested favorite. It freezes beautifully.

INGREDIENTS
5 cups flour*
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 T baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter or margarine**
1 1/2 cups chop walnuts
1 tsp grated lemon peel***
4 eggs
2 cups milk
2 tsp vanilla
Juice of 1 lemon
3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, unthawed

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour pans. Combine flour, sugar, baking
powder, cinnamon and salt in large bowl. Cut in butter until mixture
resembles fine crumbs. Stir in walnuts and lemon peel.

Beat eggs lightly, stir in milk, vanilla and lemon juice and mix well. Blend
into flour mixture just until moistened. Gently stir in blueberries.

Spoon evenly into pan(s) and bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes
out
clean, about 80-90 minutes. Cool on wire rack 10 min. Remove from pan. Serve
warm
or cold. Store in fridge.

MAKES: 1 Bundt cake or 2-9 x 5" loaves or  4-5 3/8 x 3 1/8" loaves

NOTES:
*I use 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, 2 cups King Arthur white whole
wheat
**Margarine actually tastes better than butter
***I use a few drops lemon oil instead of peel