"Window Pane" Test at High Altitude

"Ream, Matthew" <mream@converg.com>
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 15:39:43 -0600
v099.n048.15
I have to admit, I fail the window pane test when making bread.

I used to use my bread machine to mix bread, and it seemed to do a decent
job. I made the move to a Kitchen-Aid last year and as a result, I check my
dough more frequently to see if it's well-kneaded.

Every time I try the window pane test (streching the dough to see if it
thins out or tears), it tears. Am I not kneading it long enough? Even when I
let the dough go for long periods of time in the mixer, I get the same
results.

Could it be my altitude? I live in Denver (1 mi. above sea level). I don't
usually make much of an adjustment for altitude, but with bread I add dough
more by the feel than the recipe, since a full measure of flour seems to
make the dough too dry.

I appreciate any help, and if anyone has any great high-altitude bread tips,
pass 'em on!

What I'd really love, is a good bread-baking class in the area.

Matt
Colorado