convection baking / 2 recipes

"J. Mathew" <joanm@bigfoot.com>
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 06:17:24 -0500
v099.n038.16
> From: "Drora Kemp" <Kemp@mnr.org>
> Subject: New Oven Question
>
> I have just bought, and received a new oven, an electric
> convection/regular Thermador.  Any peculiarities re bread baking in that
> oven?  In general - is the convection method any good for bread baking?

Hi Drora,
  First, convection baking is wonderful for breads (and many other
things)!  I use it all the time in conjunction with my bread stone and
find that it yields a really wonderful browned crust with a nice interior
texture.

  For most normal yeast breads (low sugar content) I would suggest that
you bake at about 25 degrees Fahrenheit less than your regular
temperature.  For example, if your bread normally bakes at 400 degrees
Fahrenheit, then I would lower it to 375 when the loaves go in.  For
regular yeast breads like this I do not find it takes any longer to bake
them.  I have two convection ovens, and one of them allows me to turn the
convection feature off and on with a switch.  With this oven I generally
leave the convection turned off until the loaves go in, then turn it on.

  I do think it is important to preheat your baking stone adequately in
order to get the full benefit from it -- I preheat mine for about 25-30
minutes before putting bread in, and I'm usually busy doing the last rise
at that time anyway so I put the loaves on my oven island and they like
the warmth for that.

  My latest delight in bread-baking is flatbreads (e.g., focaccia,
ciabbatta, etc.).  I have included my favorite "basic" recipes below --
you can add just about any kind of toppings or additions you like to it to
suit your tastes.

Enjoy,
Joan